Sheffield Council to decide the fate of your ANPR data

Come on people, I've had enough of being micro managed by this crazy government! I can work out where traffic jams are going to be and don't need the council to spend billions of our money on this jumped up system.

ANPR is such a waste of time - I would rather a few dodgy people slip the net as opposed to my number plate being clocked every single time I go anywhere. We'll have to start informing the powers that be of our route in advance and then if we change route will be ... oh yes... charged money for it!

What will they be doing next eh - stopping us going 60 MPH national spped limit?! oh hang on...

It's information that the authorities simply aren't entitled to and as far as I'm concerned it's completely illegitimate. Schemes that involve a significant change without being introduced by law are equivalent to me marking out an area of pavement outside my home and then refusing to let people walk across it unless they pay me money. It's not the actions of a democracy.

Well, as you mentioned earlier, the authorities are entitled to gather that information because the law allows them to.

What you are forgetting is that we have always had the ability to observe and record number plates. We just used to do it via manual observation or use of video images. That was expensive and time consuming so we didn't do it much. The ANPR cameras just automate the process and allow us to do it more efficiently. It also allows us to use the data to provide travellers with real-time journey time information.

Well, as you mentioned earlier, the authorities are entitled to gather that information because the law allows them to.

What you are forgetting is that we have always had the ability to observe and record number plates. We just used to do it via manual observation or use of video images. That was expensive and time consuming so we didn't do it much. The ANPR cameras just automate the process and allow us to do it more efficiently. It also allows us to use the data to provide travellers with real-time journey time information.

the question is ......why do the council want all our number plate data ,and dont give us that old council chesnut about improving journey times-credit us with some inteligence.

George Orwell was bang on when he wrote 1984

I can work out where traffic jams are going to be and don't need the council to spend billions of our money on this jumped up system.

So you will know when collisions occur or vehicles break down and the roads get clogged will you? The new systems will be able to advise motorists about this so they can plan alternative routes and not get stuck.

Nothing like a good exaggeration is there? The Council haven't spent "billions". They spent £10 million of money they got from the ERDF. If the Council hadn't bid for it and been awarded it, it would have gone somewhere else. So would you rather the Council obtained as much money as they can to improve the road network, or would you rather they didn't bother, so you could moan about that?

the question is ......why do the council want all our number plate data ,and dont give us that old council chesnut about improving journey times-credit us with some inteligence.

George Orwell was bang on when he wrote 1984

The primary purpose for the data from the cameras is to feed into real - time traveller information systems, which you will be able to access via the web or the information provided on roadside variable message signs. It can also inform Urban Traffic Control strategies to help the Council manage the road network better.

The data will also be used for transport modelling purposes. Transport modelling is playing an increasingly bigger role in decision making on transport schemes.

The Department for Transport insist on outputs from multi-modal transport models being part of the business case Local Authorities must present to them when bidding for schemes of more than £5 million.

Traffic flow infrmation is also always useful for monitoring trends.

So in effect you had no ability to track all journeys before and now you will. An ability to do something manually which is impractical is not the same as automating something, so you did NOT have this capability before.

There's no need to store data for any length of time to provide real-time journey data.

So you will know when collisions occur or vehicles break down and the roads get clogged will you? The new systems will be able to advise motorists about this so they can plan alternative routes and not get stuck.

Nothing like a good exaggeration is there? The Council haven't spent "billions". They spent £10 million of money they got from the ERDF. If the Council hadn't bid for it and been awarded it, it would have gone somewhere else. So would you rather the Council obtained as much money as they can to improve the road network, or would you rather they didn't bother, so you could moan about that?

Police and ambulance get called to an accident and they inform the radios who then tell us. Just like this morning, Princess St in Attercliffe was closed because of a building fire between Windsor St and whichever other one.

The 10 million should be spent elsewhere, what the ERDF were doing with British money in the first is another story. The council has no need to bid for any money regarding maintenance of the roads it is responsible for, people already pay for their maintenance.

If money's going to be misspent like it this it had better never been given and never spent. Better have nothing done at all than something stupid done, definitely.

The primary purpose for the data from the cameras is to feed into real - time traveller information systems, which you will be able to access via the web or the information provided on roadside variable message signs. It can also inform Urban Traffic Control strategies to help the Council manage the road network better.

The data will also be used for transport modelling purposes. Transport modelling is playing an increasingly bigger role in decision making on transport schemes.

The Department for Transport insist on outputs from multi-modal transport models being part of the business case Local Authorities must present to them when bidding for schemes of more than £5 million.

Traffic flow infrmation is also always useful for monitoring trends.

The trend is: people drive and the roads are crap. Managing the network efficient is doing the exact opposite the council is doing now. If people like you stopped pushing pencils and do something about instead of doing everything but tackle the problem we would be posting here infuriated by such blasé comments.
Being allowed to doesn't mean they have to.

Get the hell out of your offices and get a spade and dig. Damn you're such an annoying person you and your colleagues, complete and absolute waste of time, you're completely incapable. Shame we can't vote for our council's departments as well as the numpties in charge of you.

Out of the door the lot of you, get a real job in a real company instead of hiding in your cushty jobs paid for by our tax money. Go stand in Fulwood at the junction where you dreamt about a better world; you can always misread the road signs and give you the awakening you need. :rant::confused::rolleyes::suspect::huh::shakes::shocked:

That isn't what I said. The point I was making is that the authorities are not entitled to collect ANPR data because there is no law concerning ANPR. It's regulation by fiat and would be more at home in some tinpot dictatorship, not the mother of all democracies. ANPR is illegitimate because it wasn't introduced under any law and is therefore illegal. If an angry citizen were to start smashing up ANPR cameras (which I'm not advocating of course), they'd be well within their rights because the cameras shouldn't be there in the first place. It'd be the equivalent of me breaking down a section of a neighbour's fence that'd been built one metre over on my property.

Just because something can be done doesn't mean that it should be done. This is something that bureaucrats such as yourself can never seem to grasp. Mass surveillance of the population's journey details is entirely for your convenience, not for ours. It's the dream of a bureaucrat to monitor people because that's the kind of clinical, bean-counting mentality that they have. I'd rather be stuck in traffic jams and keep my privacy than have my journey details stored for several years to be accessed by god knows who.

Prettygood, you should rename yourself pretty paranoid!

The system can and does benefit the motorist by helping the highway authorities to monitor traffic movement. This can then be used to model future traffic flows.

It has been going on for years in different forms and using differing methods but I know in your eyes this doesn't make it right.

The Police use of ANPR gets illegal drivers off the road. This can only be a good thing.

Its similar to CCTV, it may be seen as an invasion of privacy, big brother etc.. but it does reduce crime and can help identify and lead to the detention of offenders.