Sheffield Council to decide the fate of your ANPR data

That would be a waste of the taxpayers money.

I know, and apologise for the sharp words.

However, I stand by "Just 'cause you can do something, doesn't mean you should do it".

As stated by prettygood above:

"As an autonomous citizen I should be given a list of things that I cannot do. In your role as a state-funded bureaucrat you should be given a list of things that you can do. The two situations are not the same thing."

This could be enshrined in a proper written constitution, not simply added to the statute books (all of which should be scrapped, parliment disolved, a constitution written, then elect representitives, then write the statutes - then, and only then, will there be a true democracy in the UK).

So would you rather the Council obtained as much money as they can to improve the road network, or would you rather they didn't bother

I'd rather they didn't bother with this mass surveillance.

People know which roads get busy at which times. If one randomly gets jammed up then it's easy enough to spot and navigate around. If you tell everyone about it then other roads end up getting jammed up instead.

I'd rather keep my privacy than be given odd blipverts of information rarely of practical use.

Nothing in this thread has justified keeping number plate data - we've demonstrated how the thing can be used equally effectively without this data.

Did you know that the Trafficmaster blue poles do real-time journey times by making a "hash value" of the middle 4 characters of a number place. They designed the system with this privacy protection from the start because they were concerned about infringing privacy.

The ethics of whether something should be done in this context is a matter for politicians. Everything we in Local Government do has to be approved by politicians. The SYITS ANPR system was approved by the politicians in all the South Yorkshire Councils, so it's been through the democratic process.

So until it's actually made illegal you're intending to ignore any ethical issues and just say "we're not breaking the law".

As I already saw someone say, you sound a lot like politician justifying their expenses, ie bent as a nine bob note (in case it wasn't clear).

Is it reasonable to expect politicians to cover every aspect of every part of the Council's responsibility in an election manifesto? I think not, it's impossible.

You have to trust that they will represent what they feel is the view of their electorate.

If local government should represent it's citizens why are you busy trying to justify what is clearly an unpopular policy?

I think it is more so the Police can see if untaxed/uninsured vehicles are being driven around and can duly fine the registered keeper of the vehicle.

Don't complain, they are actually doing some good.

They only have to look around ASDA car park for untaxed vehicles, they don't have to spy on us all - unless they've something else lined up. :suspect:

Is it reasonable to expect politicians to cover every aspect of every part of the Council's responsibility in an election manifesto? I think not, it's impossible.

"You have to trust that they will represent what they feel is the view of their electorate".

Priceless :hihi:

If local government should represent it's citizens why are you busy trying to justify what is clearly an unpopular policy?

I don't believe any of the Councils involved have been innundated with complaints, so no, it clearly isn't an unpopular policy.

So until it's actually made illegal you're intending to ignore any ethical issues and just say "we're not breaking the law".

As I already saw someone say, you sound a lot like politician justifying their expenses, ie bent as a nine bob note (in case it wasn't clear).

Just to make it clear, I have heard no suggestion anywhere that use of ANPR has any likelyhood of being made illegal.

Why do you feel the need for snide comments and name calling? Usually the sign of someone who's lost the argument.

Just to make it clear, I have heard no suggestion anywhere that use of ANPR has any likelyhood of being made illegal.

Why do you feel the need for snide comments and name calling? Usually the sign of someone who's lost the argument.

Forgive us for not believing a word any of the MP`s say .

this ANPR stunt is just another way of tracking us and spying on us ,the same as the government wanting to moniter all our emails, texts ,ETC

this is 1984 big brother dressed up as a traffic improvment scheme.

lets be honest -everybody knows which roads get congested at peak times ,which are the busy routes and where the improvements are needed -you dont need to spy on people to find that out.

Name calling? You must be thinking of someone else.

I've not seen any suggestion that it's likely to be made illegal as well, is that some sort of excuse for not considering ethical issues, or a reason for every government body to go out their and start surveilling the massed?

If I'm snide it might be in frustration at your weaseling around the argument, half truths and complete lack of concern regarding legitimate concerns.