EMA to be scrapped

oh my god!

Some idiot student on the news thinks everyone should get £60 a week regardless of their income-just to go to school:loopy:

It isn't a job! When I went to school, really not that long ago you went because you wanted to learn when did this switch occur????? (bangs head on desk!) Thats probably why some of them know nothing when they get to Uni, they never wanted to learn in the first place!

Did you hear the interview with the girl who when asked what she spends the money on said, food, books and cloths as she doesn't like to ask her parents for money :roll:

We are raising a generation that thinks its entitled to free hand outs!

Did you hear the interview with the girl who when asked what she spends the money on said, food, books and cloths as she doesn't like to ask her parents for money :roll:

We are raising a generation that thinks its entitled to free hand outs!

was that the one that said she wanted to be independent and the EMA means she doesn't have to ask her parents for money:hihi::loopy:

I hope she isn't planning on Uni the muppet:hihi:

serapis, there are some people who don't like asking family or friends for money. I know I don't. Fortunately, I'm lucky enough to be in work, so I don't usually have to ask, but I know that even if I need to borrow a little bit of money for bus fare or something, I feel awkward.

Not necessarily a generation that demands handouts, maybe her parents require she pays the money back when she has it, and so is being sensible, and wants to avoid being in any sort of debt, even if it is only owing family money.

serapis, there are some people who don't like asking family or friends for money. I know I don't. Fortunately, I'm lucky enough to be in work, so I don't usually have to ask, but I know that even if I need to borrow a little bit of money for bus fare or something, I feel awkward.

Not necessarily a generation that demands handouts, maybe her parents require she pays the money back when she has it, and so is being sensible, and wants to avoid being in any sort of debt, even if it is only owing family money.

so you'd rather ask strangers to pay for you than your family?

her money is coming straight from the government. She is taking it from schools, hospitals, the military etc.

the people who want to be doctors will go to their local sixth form whether you bribe them or not. If people are that poor that they can't get to school get rid of this stupid payment and give the poor families more money instead.

most of the money gets spent on food to go to college and the spare is put towards some travel expenses, and yes if they do wanna be come doctors they will got whether you bribe them or not if they really want it but what if someone from a poor background wants it but cant go because they dont have the EMA to pay for travel, pay for food and believe it or not but some of the money goes on equipment,

hence me saying in my first post be stricter with it because we are being to light on who gets it thats why its seemed as most people spend it on booze, if we are stricter on it then only the real poor people will get it and then it might get spent the right way..

Edited by sibon
fixed quotes

most of the money gets spent on food to go to college and the spare is put towards some travel expenses, and yes if they do wanna be come doctors they will got whether you bribe them or not if they really want it but what if someone from a poor background wants it but cant go because they dont have the EMA to pay for travel, pay for food and believe it or not but some of the money goes on equipment,

hence me saying in my first post be stricter with it because we are being to light on who gets it thats why its seemed as most people spend it on booze, if we are stricter on it then only the real poor people will get it and then it might get spent the right way..

this wasn't true in my family, make up and alcohol that's what it paid for. But then we had no problem paying for everything we needed so why were my family getting it.

well yes stricter would work, or just give poor families more money and scrap it entirely, or give students free bus pases. Its clearly a PR thing anyway.

Edited by sibon
quote tags

so you'd rather ask strangers to pay for you than your family?

her money is coming straight from the government. She is taking it from schools, hospitals, the military etc.

No, I wouldn't. I absolutely hated being on jobseekers. Luckily, I am paying in what I took out, now. And yes, I understand that, but EMA was there to aid students in need of it, I don't agree with them spending it on alcohol, or whatever, but maybe it's the parents who need to talk to them about it, or try and prevent them from spending it unnecessarily, rather than penalising the ones who desperately need it.

No, I wouldn't. I absolutely hated being on jobseekers. Luckily, I am paying in what I took out, now. And yes, I understand that, but EMA was there to aid students in need of it, I don't agree with them spending it on alcohol, or whatever, but maybe it's the parents who need to talk to them about it, or try and prevent them from spending it unnecessarily, rather than penalising the ones who desperately need it.

Its exactly the same as job seekers though, she doesn't want to ask her parents for it but is happy to take it off people she doesn't know.

well yes stricter would work, or just give poor families more money and scrap it entirely.

This would be good if you are sure the money would be given to the student but i reckon if this happens most of the money given to poorer families would be spent on the head of the family or whoever receives it on behalf of the student by doing it throught the EMA process you are then certain the money is given to the student doing the studying.

all in all though i see the government just hitting youngest generation and thats not right me for one cant go to uni if the prices rise to 9,000 and i bet many more feel the same way, decreasing the amount of highly qualified people to do the highly demanding jobs in the future.

I'm not complaining, just saying what i spent it on is all.

No, I wasn't suggesting you were. If you were entitled to the money and you could afford to spend it in that way .. then its your choice. But, there are many people who need it to enable them to attend college. :)

No, I wasn't suggesting you were. If you were entitled to the money and you could afford to spend it in that way .. then its your choice. But, there are many people who need it to enable them to attend college. :)

good point. and to say they are 'a generation that expects handout' is a bit unfair. anyone born before social security and the NHS would say the same about anyone who complain about having to pay for health care, or waiting lists. they are the product of the society created.

some of them, a good number, might come from homes where they never saw mom and dad work. for some these incentives are all they know so that's what they expect, and rightly so. if it's a 'different way of thinking' that's needed then just changing things overnight won't help.

it might be the case that those that have spare to buy clothes etc with the money come from families that shouldn't qualify for the help in the first place. this needs to be looked into. and, also, in this material world, clothes can make just as big a difference as bus money when it comes to going to college.

Completely wrong. The EMA funding was not taken from the schools, hospitals, or the military budget. We know this because almost exactly the £500 million spent on the EMA is now being redirected towards increasing the UK's funding of the European Union, on the wishes of David Cameron and Nick Clegg.

It's a question of priorities. It's much better that unelected and unaccountable wealthy bureaucrats in Brussels receive the entire EMA pot of money than disadvantaged and vulnerable young people in the UK.