EMA to be scrapped

I funded my studying via 2 part time jobs.

It can be done - EMA is not the barrier to success or failure, the barrier is the student themself

Fact is, most students are a waste of space and will look for any excuse to blame others for there own failings.

I do know the students well - I am one of the more popular Tutors, so I often get first hand of what they think, as many feel comfy confiding in me

I agree with you here, EMA wasn't around when I was at college and I managed to get through college without it and I was probably classed as what would be one of todays poorer students as my parents had split up and I was being brought up by my mum but still saw my dad. Both of them had worked whilst I was a child, my mum part time when we were younger, so as soon as I got a place at college I started looking for a job that I could fit in around college, I ended up working at mcdonalds, as I could fit shifts in there on an evening and weekend. I had a travel pass that entitled me to a 40p fare between the ages of 16 and 18. There was no way that I was spending £30 a week on stationery and travel.

My sister was one of the first to get EMA as it came in as she started at sixth form as EMA started, she went to the 6th form at the comprehensive school we had been to, so she did not have travel costs to account for. There was no way that she spent £30 a week on stationery, she spent some on stationery, some on books for the courses she was doing. She did not drink at the time, so she put what she didn't use into a bank account and odd times would use it to buy clothes when she needed them but most times would just have it sitting in the bank. I guess that she got used to watching how my mum had scrimped and saved over the years and learnt how to economise, so to be honest I'm just wondering why students need £30 per week.

I agree with you here, EMA wasn't around when I was at college and I managed to get through college without it and I was probably classed as what would be one of todays poorer students as my parents had split up and I was being brought up by my mum but still saw my dad. Both of them had worked whilst I was a child, my mum part time when we were younger, so as soon as I got a place at college I started looking for a job that I could fit in around college, I ended up working at mcdonalds, as I could fit shifts in there on an evening and weekend. I had a travel pass that entitled me to a 40p fare between the ages of 16 and 18. There was no way that I was spending £30 a week on stationery and travel.

My sister was one of the first to get EMA as it came in as she started at sixth form as EMA started, she went to the 6th form at the comprehensive school we had been to, so she did not have travel costs to account for. There was no way that she spent £30 a week on stationery, she spent some on stationery, some on books for the courses she was doing. She did not drink at the time, so she put what she didn't use into a bank account and odd times would use it to buy clothes when she needed them but most times would just have it sitting in the bank. I guess that she got used to watching how my mum had scrimped and saved over the years and learnt how to economise, so to be honest I'm just wondering why students need £30 per week.

Most of the country doesn't get a 40p fare to get there and back

Well said.

And how do you suppose they get a job when even university graduates are coming out of education and are unable to find work?

These are 16/17 year olds coming out of High School with only GCSEs to their names, as someone said, even voluntary employers are looking more intently as to who they employ.

And they will still need travel expenses, as I doubt they could get a job right outside their door.

reading some of the commenst ive seen made me laff. why are people getting on young peoples back i agree they should be stricter with it but not stop it if you want doctors and stuff in the future you need people who can go to college and then go on to university, so effectively by scrapping EMa your saying only people who are from a rich background can go to college because some people cant go to college if they dont get EMA effectively not giving the "poorer people" a chance

No that finishes when they are 16 so it's more like 4 quid a day. And as I said before, it's all well and good to say your children get home made stuff but what about the kids who come from families who's parents don't give a ****?

See you all think you know what you're on about but you don't have a clue do you?

No it doesnt you can get a 16 to 18 travel pass which entitles you to 40p fares on bus and tram and half fare on train. You can also get a 16-19 travel master which is £12.40 for a week and £43.70 for a month. Even getting one of these instead of the 40p one would work out cheaper than 4 quid a day.

See http://www.travelsouthyorkshire.com/NR/rdonlyres/516D5FF3-9FB0-4F24-9119-1DD04C3831CD/0/0245_1618_applicationform1.pdf

reading some of the commenst ive seen made me laff. why are people getting on young peoples back i agree they should be stricter with it but not stop it if you want doctors and stuff in the future you need people who can go to college and then go on to university, so effectively by scrapping EMa your saying only people who are from a rich background can go to college because some people cant go to college if they dont get EMA effectively not giving the "poorer people" a chance

the people who want to be doctors will go to their local sixth form whether you bribe them or not. If people are that poor that they can't get to school get rid of this stupid payment and give the poor families more money instead.

Alternatively put the excess into subsidised public transport, why are we giving people pocket money?

In what world do you need £30 per week for travel its a joke.

oh my god!

Some idiot student on the news thinks everyone should get £60 a week regardless of their income-just to go to school:loopy:

It isn't a job! When I went to school, really not that long ago you went because you wanted to learn when did this switch occur????? (bangs head on desk!) Thats probably why some of them know nothing when they get to Uni, they never wanted to learn in the first place!

Did you hear the interview with the girl who when asked what she spends the money on said, food, books and cloths as she doesn't like to ask her parents for money :roll:

We are raising a generation that thinks its entitled to free hand outs!

Did you hear the interview with the girl who when asked what she spends the money on said, food, books and cloths as she doesn't like to ask her parents for money :roll:

We are raising a generation that thinks its entitled to free hand outs!

was that the one that said she wanted to be independent and the EMA means she doesn't have to ask her parents for money:hihi::loopy:

I hope she isn't planning on Uni the muppet:hihi: