BNP Candidate evicted from hustings meeting

If people are denied the right to air their political opinions, we don't have democracy, so the question of whether it would continue is moot.

I think it's a bit more subtle than that. If we deny a small group of people democratic rights does that mean we have no democracy? Or does it mean that most people have democracy and a few don't? Remember, prisoners don't have the vote (for now), so by your logic we already don't have democracy.

And does democracy consist in being able to vote or being able to stand or both? No-one's arguing that people should have the right to vote taken away from them. Some might argue that a party that is descended from the Nazi party isn't one we want in our political system because it risks the democratic rights of everyone else.

We need to learn a lesson from our (recent) past. Giving Nick Griffin prime time air time on Question Time exposed him as the seedy, unpleasant, racist that he is. To a massive audience. Subsequently, the BNP has fallen into a spiral of decline which includes them trying to kill each other.

We absolutely should let them speak. Sunlight is a great disinfectant.

We need to learn a lesson from our (recent) past. Giving Nick Griffin prime time air time on Question Time exposed him as the seedy, unpleasant, racist that he is. To a massive audience. Subsequently, the BNP has fallen into a spiral of decline which includes them trying to kill each other.

We absolutely should let them speak. Sunlight is a great disinfectant.

Spot on sibon. Let them be hoist by their own petard.

I think it's a bit more subtle than that. If we deny a small group of people democratic rights does that mean we have no democracy?

Precisely so. If the franchise is not universal, it's not a democracy.

I might be persuaded that there are some offences for which a person should have his franchise revoked, but under no circumstances should it be revoked merely because he has a political opinion that I don't like. If you're going down that road, you might as well strip the vote of everybody except me and anoint me as Lifelong Dictator; it comes to the same thing.

Precisely so. If the franchise is not universal, it's not a democracy.

I might be persuaded that there are some offences for which a person should have his franchise revoked, but under no circumstances should it be revoked merely because he has a political opinion that I don't like. If you're going down that road, you might as well strip the vote of everybody except me and anoint me as Lifelong Dictator; it comes to the same thing.

Just playing devil's advocate... why is it denied to the under 18's then? Surely a bright 16 year old is more suitable to vote than a disinterested 18 year old?

Regardless of that though, the true mark of democracy is the ability to allow someone to hold and espose views that make your blood boil, that make you want with every fibre of your being to oppose that which they are saying in direct opposition to you. I may not like the BNP, in fact I detest all they stand for but they have the abosulte right to promote their views regardless of how anyone may feel about them. If they were ejected for no reason other than their political position - and that's not clear - but if that's why they were removed then democracy just died a little tonight and the world is a poorer place for it.