BNP Candidate evicted from hustings meeting

By mentioning that the Sheffield hustings only invited three candidates demonstrates that the organisers were even less committed to democratic principles and freedom of speech than those in Oldham were.

It is not something one should be proud of!

They're privately organised, hence the organisers can invite who they want and leave out who they want. That is rather point of living in a freely democratic society!

If you want public hustings meetings paid for out of taxpayers' money, then you would have to ensure that every candidate was invited; but frankly I'd rather keep the taxes out of it. Anybody who wants the BNP to speak can invite them to speak.

By mentioning that the Sheffield hustings only invited three candidates demonstrates that the organisers were even less committed to democratic principles and freedom of speech than those in Oldham were.

It is not something one should be proud of!

There are a myriad of methods political parties use to disseminate their message, the BNP and others regularly use this forum to (discreetly) promote theirs ;)

Denial to address hustings is perhaps not the threat to democracy and free speech that it once might have been.

Hustings are not the free speech free for all that you perhaps think they are.

Then these meetings should not be advertised as 'genuine hustings' (as this one was in Oldham) which aim to inform and educate the public about the democratic choices available at the election!

When, in reality, they only permit those 'approved' by the establishment parties to express themselves!

Then these meetings should not be advertised as 'genuine hustings' (as this one was in Oldham) which aim to inform and educate the public about the democratic choices available at the election!

When, in reality, they only permit those 'approved' by the establishment parties to express themselves!

Well Im pleased the sensational nature of this discussion has now been reduced to one about semantics. Yes perhaps the event was poorly described.

This story is not just on the Internet, but being heavily mentioned on the door steps of Oldham East and Saddleworth by BNP campaign workers and concerned residents. At the very least it will ensure that the BNP gets its vote out, and maybe it just might attract a few more votes.

Especially when local people read the majority of the letters in the 'Saddleworth News' that are in favour of the BNP's democratic and moral right to attend the hustings.

One thing is certain - this story is unlikely to harm the BNP vote. There is nothing clearer than when fair play is ignored or thwarted. Decent people don't like this kind of behaviour, and this will be reflected at the polls.

Guest sibon
Without getting too involved both the audience and the panel on that night were loaded, under those circumstances I don't think he did too bad. And in saying that no I'm not a member of the BNP/EDL.

Society is loaded against Griffin and his mob. What you saw that night was what the British people really think. You and other BNP sympathisers just don't like to hear that.

If he didn't do too badly on QT, I'd hate to see him really let himself down.

He's incompetent. The party are a rabble. We shouldn't be afraid of letting them speak.

Edited by sibon

Denial to address hustings is perhaps not the threat to democracy and free speech that it once might have been.

But refusal of permission to attend a public hustings means that those lucky parties who are invited to speak have a distinct electoral advantage, however small, over those denied.

A complaint on this very matter is being made to the Electoral Commission.

But refusal of permission to attend a public hustings...

...did not happen. This event was organised privately by a community group.

But refusal of permission to attend a public hustings means that those lucky parties who are invited to speak have a distinct electoral advantage, however small, over those denied.

A complaint on this very matter is being made to the Electoral Commission.

..that happens everyday and in every day life. The 3 main parties participated in a televised debate, Im sure the Greens, UKIP would have loved to take part in that too, but I dont hear them whinging about it.

Personally I've no problem with the BNP being given access to a public platform but that doesn't mean they should have access to all of them, just like any other minority party.

The BNP are just trying to punch above their weight but hoping they're denied access so they can then scream about being persecuted.

..that happens everyday and in every day life. The 3 main parties participated in a televised debate, Im sure the Greens, UKIP would have loved to take part in that too, but I dont hear them whinging about it.

Personally I've no problem with the BNP being given access to a public platform but that doesn't mean they should have access to all of them, just like any other minority party.

The BNP are just trying to punch above their weight but hoping they're denied access so they can then scream about being persecuted.

Being what??:hihi::hihi:

All in all, a terrible decision to allow two minor parties with less electoral support in the constituency than the BNP to attend the hustings, but not the BNP. This story is going viral, and can only benefit the BNP vote...

im sorry.

in my anger at this event, i did not read your post properly.

im no fan of the bnp or edl or uaf.

however i am a fan of free speech, and beleive that by protectingthe rights of those on the extremes we protect all rights.

again sorry.

im sorry.

in my anger at this event, i did not read your post properly.

im no fan of the bnp or edl or uaf.

however i am a fan of free speech, and beleive that by protectingthe rights of those on the extremes we protect all rights.

again sorry.

It's the Red mist that gets in the way.:roll:

:shocked:You tree hugging sandle wearing liberal rebel without a clue, you.