Frozen water pipes

:gag: I'm in S13 I pulled the toilet flush and the basin filled with water :gag:

So I've spent the last few hours filling it with boiling water waiting for it to go down (very slowly) and repeating. I've contacted a drain company who told me that's the worse thing to do eeeek! Basically he said there's nothing anyone can do and to wait for the temp to rise and keep our fingers crossed that the pipe doesn't burst.

I was quite surprised it's happened today as the temperature has been higher than it has all week.

:gag: I'm in S13 I pulled the toilet flush and the basin filled with water :gag:

So I've spent the last few hours filling it with boiling water waiting for it to go down (very slowly) and repeating. I've contacted a drain company who told me that's the worse thing to do eeeek! Basically he said there's nothing anyone can do and to wait for the temp to rise and keep our fingers crossed that the pipe doesn't burst.

I was quite surprised it's happened today as the temperature has been higher than it has all week.

The very same thing happened to us yesterday, and the pressure from the water in the pan broke the seal on the waste pipe so we had foul water dripping onto the bathroom floor. Gross. We had to bail out the pan manually and drain the cistern to stop the leak, which has now been fixed but we still can't use or flush the toilet until the waste pipe's thawed. Thank god for the downstairs lav, we'd literally be up **** creek without it.

We've seen a huge surge in people calling us over the last few weeks asking for advice on how to deal with frozen pipes and we're doing all we can to help.

We've put together some information on how to deal with frozen pipes, which includes a step by step video, a handy leaflet full of hints & tips and then some further advice on what to do when your pipes begin to thaw.

Please visit our website for further information -

http://www.yorkshirewater.com/frozen-pipes-and-no-water.aspx

As a side to this, whats the proceedure if you know your neighbours have a burst pipe and they're not in?

Got up this morning to find the kitchen had a small pool of water. Presumed burst pipe so checked the system, no burst.

Went outside and noticed that the neighbours have water literally streaming down their back wall and and out from around their kitchen window.

I'm guessing their bathroom pipes have burst and somehow a little bit of water is finding it's way into mine, while most of it is gushing out of their back wall and window frames.

Knocked, but there's no-one home and I don't have any contact details.

Anyone know what the next course of action should be?

As a side to this, whats the proceedure if you know your neighbours have a burst pipe and they're not in?

Got up this morning to find the kitchen had a small pool of water. Presumed burst pipe so checked the system, no burst.

Went outside and noticed that the neighbours have water literally streaming down their back wall and and out from around their kitchen window.

I'm guessing their bathroom pipes have burst and somehow a little bit of water is finding it's way into mine, while most of it is gushing out of their back wall and window frames.

Knocked, but there's no-one home and I don't have any contact details.

Anyone know what the next course of action should be?

cant you turn it off in the street for them?

We are probably one of many at the moment without water due to probably frozen pipes. We have been without any water since Tuesday when we got back from a weekend away, but luckily still have the CH working.

We have 30 2 litre bottles of water to use the toilet (sparingly), wash etc. We had family shower at my Parents last night and will be scri=uffs and last until tomorrow before same again.

With having 2 kids we have lots of washing and my wife has taken a load to each of my Mum, Sister and friends just now.

It is just the uncertainty of it all driving me insane as I have been using heaters and hair dryers to get some movement of water but to no avail.

How is everyone else getting by and are there any miracle cures or is it a wait for the thaw whenever that will be ??

I'm bringing water home from work for drinking and teeth cleaning, etc. Luckily have plenty of clothes to go at but have bought fleecy bedding and new supply of undies today.

What's worrying me more than the lack of heating or water is, what's going to happen when it thaws? :suspect: Will all the pipes, wc cisterns and maybe even the water tank burst? I'm not even trying to thaw anything out and I've turned the water off at the stopcock.

A great idea, I hadn't thought of that. D'oh! Not sure if we have a stop tap outside, mines in my cellar but you never know.

I'll have a look when I get home. Thanks!

There should be a mains supply stopcock under a small iron cover on the street in addition to the one in your home. When we had a burst pipe a year ago our quick thinking neighbours turned it off from the street outside. There was already extensive damage, but it could have been even worse if the neighbours hadn't turned the water supply off.

our bathroom sink isn't emptying, toilet and bath both fine, can't get to the pipes. I keeping running warm water in sink then using jug to empty it again, will this help? really don't want a burst pipe as that will mean pulling bathroom apart.

same here, but the bath, I emptied it as much as possible and soaked the rest up with towels, then put loads of salt down, left 15 mins and then poured a kettle of boiling water down, then there was a huge gurgling then it suddenly cleared :D