Frozen water pipes

the central heating needs to be kept on 24/7 in this weather, turn it off and you run the risk of frozen pipes.

I live on my own and am regularly out of the country for up to 10 days at a time, someone once advised me to keep the heating on very low (10-15) at all times during the cold winter period and have had no problems for the past 11 years with frozen pipes.

I live on my own and am regularly out of the country for up to 10 days at a time, someone once advised me to keep the heating on very low (10-15) at all times during the cold winter period and have had no problems for the past 11 years with frozen pipes.

That a good idea but if you have a loft with good insulation the heat in the property is kept below the ceiling level. Any cold water pipes in the loft are liable to freeze in present conditions. I was told this by the emergency plumber who came to fix mine. He says he has been to hundreds of similar call outs. You would not have this problem if there was no loft header tanks needed ie combi boilers etc.

That a good idea but if you have a loft with good insulation the heat in the property is kept below the ceiling level. Any cold water pipes in the loft are liable to freeze in present conditions. I was told this by the emergency plumber who came to fix mine. He says he has been to hundreds of similar call outs. You would not have this problem if there was no loft header tanks needed ie combi boilers etc.
I was also told that opening the loft hatch in very cold weather allows heat from the house to go into the loft and keep it above freezing.

My problem has been that I have no CH or DG in this property, and can't afford to keep the electric heaters on 24/7 hence all the water being frozen.

If I realised what was going to happen, I'd have turned off the water and drained the system earlier. It'll never happen again, hindsight is such a wonderful thing! :)

Guest makapaka
Great start to my Christmas eve im homeless. Went out of my council flat for a few hours, when i returned it was completely flooded as was the flat below me.

The pipe that burst is in the loft this is the shower feed. the contractors who fitted this for the council never lagged it. The emergency guy who came out told me these loft pipe bursts are hapening on a big scale because of cost cutting. All the electrics are shot due to being filled with water, my new water bed is useless lol.

Ah well could be worse, me mates put me up for a while. I wonder if anyone else has gone through this? any advice regarding what the council will do? They are coming to have a look in a couple of weeks.

This happened a lot in the Arbourthorne area last year. What area are you in?

Anyone still without water ? We are into day 9 even though it is 8 degrees in Deepcar.

Yorkshire Water have been no help.

my parents are still without water is now day 10 and yorkshire water are usless, they dont even have neighbours that can help i am taking them water every day from my house

my parents are still without water is now day 10 and yorkshire water are usless, they dont even have neighbours that can help i am taking them water every day from my house

Pipes should all be thawed out by now.

I went to a job last week where the home owner thought it was a frozen pipe, I found the float valve in the cold water header tank was seized therefore not allowing hot water cylinder to be fed.