Is there too much religion involved in Christmas?

Some people say atheists are hypocrites if they celebrate Christmas. I think it is more a case of most atheists just doing it to fit in with the majority rather than make a big fuss about not doing anything, and also to take advantage of the public holidays.

When religion has completely disappeared in however many years/decades/centuries that takes there will still be a "Christmas". It may be known by another name but people will still want a designated time when most people are off work and you can spend time with family.

I know it's a losing battle, but please - it's Father Christmas, not Santa

It's Santa at ours i'm afraid. :)

Are you saying you do everything at Christmas just so you can stick two fingers up to the religious establishment?

"Seems like an annual thing":huh::huh:

I am asking a reasonable question not sticking two fingers up at anyone. I'm sure my friend Grahame will add a sensible reply.

It would apppear that church attendances are dwindling, makes me wonder that the festival has lost its true meaning to so called christians.

It's Santa at ours i'm afraid. :)

I suppose as long as he comes to your house what's it matter what his name is

NOOOOoooooooooooo! ya dont say!

We all know Christmas is to celebrate Santa's birthday,don't we?

lol

Clearly not a practising Christian then, because your not using the Saint's proper name!

Santa = Saint

The holidays would be the old celebrations and festivals from pagan times.

Even they were based on "religion" in its broad sense

This is why I think Atheists are hypocrites. Why celebrate Christmas when there is meaning behind it?!

Would we celebrate Diwali..I think not.

I did when I lived in a country where people celebrated Diwali. And very nice it was too. Good food.

I need not believe in your sky pixie to take part in your celebrations :D

I am asking a reasonable question not sticking two fingers up at anyone. I'm sure my friend Grahame will add a sensible reply.

That would be a first. Grahame on his own does more damage to the Christian position than every atheist on this board put together.

Christmas is here once again, seems like an annual thing. Do people really celebrate Christmas for what it is intended to be or like me as an Athiest use it as a holiday to indulge in everything I enjoy doing that which might be frowned on outside christmas.

Dead right, just like there are too many Christian services at Easter time, after all it's about chocolate eggs isn't it?

:loopy:

Even they were based on "religion" in its broad sense

Actually no. The festivals came first, to celebrate that the Sun wasn't going to disappear forever. The religion came afterwards, as people tried to explain why not.

lol

Clearly not a practising Christian then, because your not using the Saint's proper name!

Santa = Saint

Santa is an anagram of SATAN....just thought I'd share :)