Wind Turbines - Totley Moor / Hathersage

t020

I have recently moved to Totley from Cornwall and when i saw the anti-turbine petitions was moved to write to the Council in support of the application.. The planned turbine (singular) is on farmland at the back of Overcroft Rise (near the Fleur De Lis).

my nannan lives in overcroft rise so it will literally be on her doorstep - she's really looking forward to it - she gone all green using public transport (with her new free buss pass) instead of the car. using ecover washing tablets etc and even taking all her rubbish to be recycled.

Please dont curb your enthusiasm, we need as much of your comments as possible, people in general just dont seem to realise the seriousness of the situation we have got our selves into.

Well if the worst comes to the worst we can always revive the coal industry and sink new pits, - there is still plenty of coal to be had and it can now be burned cleanly at a price competitive with Russian gas. China, Russia, India and the US will be burning coal for power generation for the next fifty years however self-righteously green we in Britain aspire to be. If you can't beat them - join them. ;)

Since privatisation the powergen industry has the govt. by the short and curlies. Nothing will happen without huge subsidy and huge profit, - as is the case with wind farms The energy crisis has been on the radar for ten years or more and now just as he's about to be kicked out of the driving seat Tony Blair thinks we ought to be doing something about it :loopy:

It astonishes me when people object to turbines on the basis of aesthetics. Anyone seen how aesthetically pleasing a conventional power station is?. What about sparing a thought for the pour souls whose views are spolied by those things?.

Ok - I know it would take an awful lot of wind turbines to match the output of Drax or somewhere, but I think its a bit rich for people who use the power supplied by monstrous coal fired eyesores to compalin about a few windmills.

As for nuclear, I agree we need to go for it, but if you were being honest, would you want a couple of nuclear power stations on Sheffield's doorstep?.

I like wind turbines and I think they are much better than some big stupid power station.

Look at the Castleton & Hope area.... the power station ruins the view... I would prefer Wind Turbines there.

Whilst on holiday at Withernsea the other week we went past a very nice looking wind farm on the way to Spurn Point, looked very nice, far better than the gas terminal a mile further on!!

I noticed that on a nearby caravan park quite a number of the caravans had turbines attached to the end of the caravan. Wondered if in a strong wind they tried to take off :)

I am very much pro-nuclear and would have no problems living near one. I do realise however its easy to say that living in Sheffield where there is no liklihood of having one due to the lack of sufficient cooling water.

I agree with the concept of dumping our rubbish in space but as said previously the reliability of current earth to space transition methods does make it alot more dangerous than simply buring it. However this may soon change if Branson gets his space plane sorted out.

Dave

Nuclear waste can be handled safely, in a "political" atmosphere where safety comes first. When you work in a school or a hospital, and I guess alot of other places, you learn that someone is always on your neck about **COSTS**.

In Queensland, we are having problems because costs have been kept down in our hospitals for many years; finally, the disasters we foresaw have occurred, and the politicians and managers are saying "well, how were we to know?"

In another state, management decided that too much was being spent on safety inspections at a big gas plant; they saved lots of money -- until it blew up!

Do you really think pollies and managers like that can be trusted with stuff that's deadly for centuries?

Did anyone see last nights edition of 'Horizon' on BBC2?. According to that, low levels of radiation are actually good for us!!!!?.

Projected deaths from the Chernobyl nuclear accident were expected to be around 9000. Apparently, only 56 people have so far died from diseases that can be directly be attributed to the reactor failure.

What do you reckon - does that mean nuclear is safe after all?. Where would you site a reactor if they planned one for good old Sheff?. Me, I'll get a wind turbine for my back garden!.

I saw the programme and I must admit I was suprised at the implecation but history of radioactivity does show that in the early years it did seem to be benificial and there are areas of the planet where the background radiation ixs high without a corrosponding high cancer rate

dave

Archived