Wind Turbines - Totley Moor / Hathersage

t020

There's some interesting insights on the process of getting a turbine installed on your house or property at The Ethnical Man blog on the Newsnight website: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/newsnight/5155682.stm

I was told you didn't need planning permission for a turbine. Looks like I was told wrong.

Still, nice to see the council made it easy for the applicant to do his bit to try and save the planet.......!!!?.

sheftory we already elected the *actual* green party in my constituency, they know the issues rather than just the retoric.

ive already written this on another thread but here goes again.

if the money spent on building new power stations was spent on a bulk purchase of small scale renewable generators for as many homes as possible, the price of the turbines and PV cells would plummet. there would then be a locally stored supply of electricity at all times which would reduce the usage of the HUGELY ineficient national grid (NB i got it rather wrong in my other post, seems according to 2005 data that the total loss is around 7% :blush: wikipedia). this would not only set us up for meeting our carbon targets but would encourage a change in mindset of the people who seem to think this *take care of our planet* is all just a joke.

nb 7% of power stations closed due to more people having a local power supply equates to more than 12 power stations closed.

that power station in wales in a mountain is not actually a power station.

it pumps thewater from the lake up the mountain at night when electricity is cheap and then lets it back down again at peak demand times. it does nothing in terms of helping the environment, it just makes money for its owners. there are plenty of genuine water power staions in scotland though.

• 4 months later...

Application for Totley turbines is back in with SCC - please everyone who agrees with making a positive move towards cleaner energy write in support to Miriam Pewsey at Planning, SCC, Howden House, 1 Union St, S1 2SH. Planning app. no. is 06/02271/FUL.

By the way I was passed this info by way of a very helpful flier from Sheffield Conservatives. I won't quote the whole text but here are some choice snippets which stood out: 'This proposed turbine is 18m high, and if approved, would be a very visible feature of the landscape'. They then quote PPG2, and go on to say 'If you wish to object or comment on this proposal please email miriam.pewsey@sheffield.gov.uk'. (my bolding of words!)

Now it may be just me being oversensitive but I get the impression our Local Conservatives are not fully in favour of this move towards green energy! Perhaps we should get Dave C down here for his own personal view?

Application for Totley turbines is back in with SCC - please everyone who agrees with making a positive move towards cleaner energy write in support to Miriam Pewsey at Planning, SCC, Howden House, 1 Union St, S1 2SH. Planning app. no. is 06/02271/FUL.

By the way I was passed this info by way of a very helpful flier from Sheffield Conservatives. I won't quote the whole text but here are some choice snippets which stood out: 'This proposed turbine is 18m high, and if approved, would be a very visible feature of the landscape'. They then quote PPG2, and go on to say 'If you wish to object or comment on this proposal please email miriam.pewsey@sheffield.gov.uk'. (my bolding of words!)

Now it may be just me being oversensitive but I get the impression our Local Conservatives are not fully in favour of this move towards green energy! Perhaps we should get Dave C down here for his own personal view?

You are in favour then? How many turbines is it ? From what I've seen and heard crecently, these turbines have been rather inefficient. I'm not sure I'm in favour of wind turbines on-shore. In any case, tidal systems seem to be a much more reliable source of energy, and they produce much more energy. On balance, I may be objecting to this application.

Perhaps we could build more hydro-electric plants like that one in Wales thats inside the mountain ?

If you mean this:

http://www.electricmountain.co.uk/pumped_storage.htm

It doesn't actually generate electricity as such - water is pumped up the hill using off-peak electricity and then let down through the turbines to create extra power at peak times.

This is only 'green' in the sense that it reduces the need for over-capacity elsewhere in the system to cope with peak demand (so it can store electricity created by wind etc., or indeed anyhow, for when it is needed).

You are in favour then? How many turbines is it ? From what I've seen and heard crecently, these turbines have been rather inefficient. I'm not sure I'm in favour of wind turbines on-shore. In any case, tidal systems seem to be a much more reliable source of energy, and they produce much more energy. On balance, I may be objecting to this application.

Hi Tomataheed - I live just round the corner and will be sending in a letter in favour of the application. IMO the location is eminently suitable for a single wind turbine and if the landowner is willing to make a commitment to renewable energy then I wish to support it. I would ask you to go online to SCC's planning webpages and check out all the supporting doc's for the application including the many photomontages as well as the number of letters in opposition.

I could harp on for pages why I disagree with the reasons for objections but the bottom line is I believe in climate change, I understand the need for renewable energy and I like to see people taking action in the right direction. Plus having lived in Cornwall for 10+ years I am familiar with wind turbines and do not agree with the view that they spoil the landscape. If anything will spoil the peri-urban landscape around Totley it is the growth of new homes, 4x4's and the loss of upland heath habitat due to the changing landscape!

Aargh I realise I have turned this into a rant. But PLEASE go and check out the information on the planning pages before making a decision to oppose or support - that is my plea to everyone!

It's the smaller ones that tend to be erected in backyards and stuff that are rather ineffective, as opposed to the large scale ones. Justin Rowlett covered it (fairly basically, but rather well) on his Ethical Man blog http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/newsnight/2006/11/are_domestic_wind_turbines_an_ecocon.html

This proposal is for a single 18 metre turbine which although not a large-scale wind farm is definitely not a domestic roof-top affair so I assume that they have had the requisite wind tests done before committing themselves to such an investment.

The main oppositions are:

Visual impact: I would counter with the fact that it is sited on the edge of a housing area in an area with much more impressive views in most other directions and as the photomontages show it is not actually visible from most other directions. So if you find having your view of housing estates, major roads, muddy fields and mobile phone masts being spoiled by a wind turbine then turn 180 degrees and look at lovely Totley Moss.

Noise and 'thrumming': The turbine does produce a certain amount of noise and disturbance but national experience has deemed this not significant (check out PPG requirements for an EIA for wind turbines - in supporting docs).

Effects on epilepsy/MS sufferers: I have heard anecdotal evidence of a slight impact on people with epilepsy when in close proximity to a turbine but no proof. I will go and look but surmise that you would have to be very close for a sustained period of time. As it is only a single turbine in private land not adjacent to public rights of way I would suggest that this small risk of potential adverse effects could be easily avoided.

Turbine blades being struck by lightning, flying off and landing in the school playgrounds: They won't.

Archived