Do young/old relationships really work?

It's really up to them what works or not, personally one is taking advantage of the other in 99% of cases and it's as close to legal pedophilia as your going to get....thought of a 50-60 year old with a person of 16 makes me want to gip badly.

In the end there will always be those willing to recapture their youth, unfortunately what they have in common is usually an illusion and the conversation would be somewhat awkward when ipod's facebook and being on a rollercoaster come into the light.

I was 15 when I got with my partner who was 23, My mum went ape when she found out. We got together the month before my 16th, 2 week after my 16th mum found out I was still seeing my partner. And threw me out so I moved in with him, we was told it would not last. Give it a few week and we would be over and he would be with someone else.

11 and half yr later and we are still together and been married or 3 year. He works as an electrical engineer and I have my own business. When we got together I took on his 6mnth old son he has custody of. He is now 12 and we have 2 other kids too, a boy who is 8 and a girl aged 2.

My husband is my best friend even when he found out about my periphial nerve and muscle waisting disease thats progressive he stood by me. He had to cut his hours at work from full time to 2 days a week. So he can be hhere to care for me more as I am in a wheelchair now (was on me feet untill last september).

He has had to take on the house work and the kids schooling more but he has done an amazing job.

And yes we had our problems believe me, it aint been one big fairy tale. But thats what relationships are about there hard work but if you work hard enough you will have some thing you wont ever wanna let go. :)

Age is just a number I am now 27 and my husband is 35 but we are happy. And so are our kids we was not and are not hurting anyone so whats it matter.

And to be honest I the main reason we lasted was because he was not like other lads my age.

Just wanting to get their leg over and thats it he respected me. He waited untill I was ready and said not untill I was 16. And I made him wait to he waited 5 month nearly, but he never pushed me in to anything. Im lucky to have him and to of found my soul mate first time round. x

Sounds like you've both built something really special there charlie, a tight family bond.

It depends on alot of things.

Personally, ive always been told im 'older than my age' so when I was 15, and my partner was 28 - it was most certainly frowned upon. But we've prooved everyone wrong.

It depends on alot of things.

Personally, ive always been told im 'older than my age' so when I was 15, and my partner was 28 - it was most certainly frowned upon. But we've prooved everyone wrong.

That's a really good point, I suppose the maturity of the younger person does play a major role in any relationship where there's a significant age gap. What is a youngster to do if they don't relate to kids their own age?.

That's a really good point, I suppose the maturity of the younger person does play a major role in any relationship where there's a significant age gap. What is a youngster to do if they don't relate to kids their own age?.

Oh yeah, I think it goes on how mature the younger person is.

Noone believes me when I say im 18 (19 in a fortnight). They think im lying but im not. Ive got my house, which even if I say so myself, im goddamn proud of. My son, pets etc My partner works, im full time student at college... I really do think it plays a big role in how mature you can/cant be. I know of girls my age, who left school, had a kid and go out every weekend <removed> their benefits up the wall, thats never appealed to me :gag: Id much rather stay in with a bottle of wine, dvd snuggled under the duvet :)

Edited by KTHFB
masked swearing

Oh yeah, I think it goes on how mature the younger person is.

Noone believes me when I say im 18 (19 in a fortnight). They think im lying but im not. Ive got my house, which even if I say so myself, im goddamn proud of. My son, pets etc My partner works, im full time student at college... I really do think it plays a big role in how mature you can/cant be. I know of girls my age, who left school, had a kid and go out every weekend <removed> their benefits up the wall, thats never appealed to me :gag: Id much rather stay in with a bottle of wine, dvd snuggled under the duvet :)

There's things you could do far worse than that isn't there?, sounds to me like you're a youngster who knows their own mind, and believe me, being older doesn't necessarily provide you with that quality. Edited by KTHFB
masked swearing in quoted post

theres a 6 year gap between me and my partner, not so bad i know i was 17 he was 23, but we liked the same things and still do i think thats what makes it work 8yrs on. We were always out drinking partying but we seemed to grow up together (no staggering to work after being out all night just having time to brush us' teeth!) then we had children which really makes you proper adults!! its all about give and take and having things in common thats what matters not your age

These days even a girl of 16 with a lad of 26 is looked down on.........yet add 10 years and its 26 and 36 which doesnt look as bad. They also keep going on about how girls mature faster etc.....yet they are the most protected.....

The point for me there is at 16 I dont think a child that age has the same maturity (male or female) as a 26 year old (male or female)

you develop emtionally so much between 16-24. (I say 24, as Im 24, with a partner of 5 years of 34.)

Theres almost 11 years between us- and at the outset we were miles apart, with regards to general life experience/thought processes/maturity of dealing with certain situations

I personally think its wrong for age gaps of more than 3ish years when one partner is under 18.

Regardless of however mature the younger partner feels they may be- they have alot to learn.

Can such relationships actually work?, does anyone know of any that have worked?, or are they just destined for failure?.

Is it frowned upon for child of, lets say 16, to be involved with a fully grown adult, lets say 20, 30 years their senior?. Do you feel that the child is being taken advantage of in any way?

What are your thoughts on this?

just under 22 year between me and the misses (shes the younger one) yet we've been together for 10 year now and very happily may i add.

i feel rather than the age in a number form its the mental age that counts, i'll happily raise me arms and admit shes got a ton more muturity than me.

and as for us getting together she were 17 i were 39 she did the chasing not me. were both honest bout ages and neither one of our familys had issue with us.

Edited by needsleep

No idea if they work or not all I know is if I had a 16 year old daughter I would not want her dating anyone older than around 18, 19 say. Can't really say why just a gut reaction. Seems to me there is something very odd about a bloke who wants to be with a someone who isn't an adult.

Thinking back, I'm a completely and utterly different person now at 25 than at 16 so I can't imagine any relationship started then would have lasted until now!

when you consider that most 18yr old boys are idiots. i would prefer a 16yr old daughter of mine to be dating a 25yr old "man" than a 19yr old "boy"

just under 22 year between me and the misses (shes the younger one) yet we've been together for 10 year now and very happily may i add.

i feel rather than the age in a number form its the mental age that counts, i'll happily raise me arms and admit shes got a ton more muturity than me.

and as for us getting together she were 17 i were 39 she did the chasing not me. were both honest bout ages and neither one of our familys had issue with us.

How did you feel about the age difference back then?, also, how did your partners friends react on meeting you?

when you consider that most 18yr old boys are idiots. i would prefer a 16yr old daughter of mine to be dating a 25yr old "man" than a 19yr old "boy"

Not really, when I was that age I had plenty of lovely male friends who weren't idiots. In fact I can't think of a single bloke of that age who I knew who was an idiot :huh:

My bloke is 8 years older than me so a small age difference but not much, I was 20 and he was 28 when we got together we're engaged now woot! He is my whole world :D