Do young/old relationships really work?

It worked for Harold and Maude.

Well yes I would say they work.

My husband is 16years older than myself we have been married for 35 years.

We both want the same things out of life and I do think that helps, to both pull in the same direction so to speak. The main thing we have never fallen out about money, and have only ever bought what we can afford.

Not really, when I was that age I had plenty of lovely male friends who weren't idiots. In fact I can't think of a single bloke of that age who I knew who was an idiot :huh:

The lads who are my age now, are out sticking coke up their noses and acting like general idiots :gag: Something I, nor my other half, would even think about doing.

A big age gap is not something I have ever entertained. Nor will. However, I think if two people of greatly-varying ages fall in love, and it does not last.....I don't think that is ALWAYS because of the age gap. If people are in to the same things, and have the same outlook on life, then it will, more often than not, work out...no matter what the age.

However, as ageist as this may seem, I would never go out with anyone who has more/less 6 years than me. That is my limit.

The lads who are my age now, are out sticking coke up their noses and acting like general idiots :gag: Something I, nor my other half, would even think about doing.

Haha maybe it's a Sheffield thing, I didn't grow up here!

A big age gap is not something I have ever entertained. Nor will. However, I think if two people of greatly-varying ages fall in love, and it does not last.....I don't think that is ALWAYS because of the age gap. If people are in to the same things, and have the same outlook on life, then it will, more often than not, work out...no matter what the age.

However, as ageist as this may seem, I would never go out with anyone who has more/less 6 years than me. That is my limit.

You're very specific about the 6/7 year difference, would you care to elaborate on why that is. Sorry, I'm just curious.:)

I've come across 20 something ladies taking up with 40 something chaps, and on all three occasions the chaps had heart attacks, none of them croaked it though.

You're very specific about the 6/7 year difference, would you care to elaborate on why that is. Sorry, I'm just curious.:)

I have no idea. I guess, at my present age, (36) I remember how I was under 30 (quite different to how I am now), and I don't know if I'd fancy someone well in to their 40's, either. I think it's just me being finicky, though. It does freak me out a little to think of going out with someone who is approaching 50. I also think I would feel like a grandma even with a 30 year old!

Having said that, you never know, do you...when you might meet that 'special' person....and then they tell you their age....which breaks all of your rules!! What a quandry!!!!

I do think people change with age though, so would not consider doing a 'Cher' and going out with some toy boy. I think lack of life experience would bother me considerably.

I've come across 20 something ladies taking up with 40 something chaps, and on all three occasions the chaps had heart attacks, none of them croaked it though.
I knew a fella in his late 60s that would only date women in their 20s. Unfortunately, but rather understandably, he did croak it. On the day of his funeral, they had to dig his hole six inch deeper than normal, placing the coffin upside down as they couldn't get the lid on.

True story.

Edited by danot

Can I just ask.......what does a twenty-something girl see in a sixty-something man?????????????????????????????????????? I have been a twenty-something girl. Was for a long time. Not ONCE was I attracted to a pensioner. (No offence to pensioners. I just don't fancy them).

My parents have a 14 year age gap between them and have been happily married for 26 years.

My mum was 17 and my dad 31 when they got together, oddly enough my dads parents were the one that had a problem with it!

Can I just ask.......what does a twenty-something girl see in a sixty-something man?????????????????????????????????????? I have been a twenty-something girl. Was for a long time. Not ONCE was I attracted to a pensioner. (No offence to pensioners. I just don't fancy them).
I don't know.. might be personal preference. You could ask the same question regarding ugly people couldn't you :D, it's each to their own I suppose.