Pupil dilation - by a Doctor

Hi

just a quick question has anyone ever had there pupils dilated by a docter, any pain or side effects please ?

A couple of drops in the eye, no pain at all - will just make you blink a bit....

I found they stung a little bit and not for too long

i've had it done by optician a few times, it allows them to see the back of your eyeball for abnormalities, it does sting a little and everything is really bright for a bit so if you've got some sunglasses wear hem afterwards

Hi

just a quick question has anyone ever had there pupils dilated by a docter, any pain or side effects please ?

the side effect is that your pupils are dilated :)

which may cause problems if you drive before they undilate

depending what your doctor does next, it can be quite exciting

Don't drive afterwards. My OH is diabetic and he has the eye drops at least once a year. He always wears sunglasses straight afterwards and comes home in a taxi. He says that the procedure is painless but the bright sunlight hurts his eyes so he has to lie down in a darkened room with a pint of beer for a couple of hours afterwards.

Don't drive afterwards. My OH is diabetic and he has the eye drops at least once a year. He always wears sunglasses straight afterwards and comes home in a taxi. He says that the procedure is painless but the bright sunlight hurts his eyes so he has to lie down in a darkened room with a pint of beer for a couple of hours afterwards.

Some blokes would do anything for a bit of peace and quiet :lol:

Some blokes would do anything for a bit of peace and quiet :lol:

Especially when he should be mowing the lawn, decorating the hall and cleaning the cars before teatime.:D

Atropine eyedrops dilate the pupil and allow the physician / optician to examine the back of the eye.

I have to have these every time I have an eye test. They sting for a short while and, as has already been said, you will find daylight and sunlight difficult to tolerate and you may find that you feel a bit 'spaced out' for a while.

The effects only last for a few hours - a good excuse to allow everyone else to do everything for you !:)

I'm diabetic and I've been having this done for years and had it done again at the Hallamshire on Thursday. I wouldn't say its painful as others have said it does sting a bit, basically as so much light is let into your eyes after when you get out if its a sunny day you won't be able to open your eyes as normal. I forgot my sunglasses when I went the other day and was walking back into town to go to work after and couldn't take my eyes away from the floor as if I looked up they stung so badly. So if anyone saw someoen walking from the Hallamshire to town on Thursday stumbling, their eyes watering that was me.

the side effect is that your pupils are dilated :)

which may cause problems if you drive before they undilate

depending what your doctor does next, it can be quite exciting

I must be going to the wrong doctor :hihi:

I had atropine drops in one eye for several weeks as treatment for a corneal ulcer. No pain or discomfort at all but it also paralyses the muscles that enable your lens to focus - which did give me headaches and made it very difficult for me to read. Over this period of time it was a real nightmare but for a few hours it would be nothing more than a mild inconvenience :)