Sainsburys buying Fletchers land to build new store - Wadsley Bridge

Sorry, have I missed something here.

The big boys have won again?? Its called progress. Get over it.

Was the travellers really worth saving that much. Perhaps if it had more customers in the first place it wouldn't have been bought and sold off so easily.

I cant wait for sainsburys over this end of town. Im sick of being stuck with barracks morrisons, ecco morrisons, big asda or little asda.

This decision is an absolute joke and a preview of how Sheffield will now be governed.

Firstly, the road system around this area already can not cope with the volume of traffic, especially during peak hours and on match days. the building of a new supermarket will only exacerbate the traffic jams and pollution.

Secondly, this project is a kick in the teeth of the small businesses in and around Hillsborough who have fought hard to turn the area back into a reasonable shopping centre after the chaos caused by the tram system, parking restrictions etc.

And just how many supermarkets does one area need? Within 1.5 miles of this site there is already Morrisons, Tesco, Netto (as was), Aldi plus the new Asda development at Chaucer, not to mention numerous smaller businesses.

And the amount of people believing the hype about creating new jobs and preserving jobs at Fletchers is beyond belief.

Fletchers is quite possibly the worst run business in the area with owners who have done nothing to safeguard jobs and re-invest since the fire. And those who think Sainsburys are doing this to create jobs in the S5/S6 area should think back to Sainsburys Meadowhall, I wonder what happened to all those employees?

This is purely about money and the local residents have been sold out.

I can't wait - I think North Sheffield has been sorely in need of a quality supermarket for a long time. I don't want to shop in Netto (as was) or Aldi, ta! I know there's a Tesco on Langsett Road, but it doesn't have the biggest choice, no clothes or anything. There isn't a Sainsburys for miles if you live North of the city centre! WooHOOOOOO! :-)

• 2 months later...