Sainsburys buying Fletchers land to build new store - Wadsley Bridge

I wouldn't mind a large Sainsbury's at our end of town, not because I intend doing my weekly shop there, but because they do have some decent offers on from time to time on Indian/Chinese snack meals and the store in town is too small to offer the full range. I could pop in on my way home from work. :D

I agree though about the number of supermarkets.....Surely we have reached saturation point.

Regards

Doom

Hi Doom,

Why not prepare your own 'take away/snack meals'' the day or week before? 1 snack meal costs an average of £2.50- £4.50 for a small portion.

At Lydll, a pack of chicken breasts costs £3.50. A pack of peppers - £1. A pack of onions - £1. A pack of rice - 75p. Jar of Pataks Indian stir fry paste. - 75p = £7.00.

Slice everything up and stir fry, then put into take away boxes, that you should have saved? Makes up SIX good meals for one person. Or eight the size of the ones you get in a supermarket take away box.

Cost approximately £1 each. Saving £9.

Plus you will still have onions, peppers rice and paste left over to make lots of other stuff. Like Chicken kebabs; chunks of chicken marinated in lemon juice, olive oil and a tablespoon of Pataks; skewered with onions and peppers and grilled for ten fifteen minutes.

Anyone else got some ideas for 'fast food' to cut out all the rubbish and packaging bought with supermarket takeaway's?

Sorry to digress :+)

Sainsbury's still appear to be faffing about. I've had email response from the case planner at Sheffield Council, the case planner at Sainsbury's planning agent and some annoyingly chirpy PR-type from Sainbury's.

My understanding is that the Sheffield Council planners said 'Yeah, you can build it but the onus is one you to prove its gonna be ok'. Sainbury's have managed to get permission to go ahead without complying with condition on archaeology and drainage, but still need to do show they have fully investigated and considered the state of the site, flooding, boiler emissions etc.

They've also asked if they can change the building design a bit but not hugely.

I wonder why they're taking so long. Maybe this is just something for them to have in the pipeline or maybe it is genuinely a tricky one.

Sainsbury's submitted another planning application 13/02378/NMA for minor changes to the design including raising the ground level a metre but lowering the roof by the same amount, amending the car park layout and some pedestrian ramp a bit. This was approved 23/10/13.

Sainsbury's submitted another planning application 13/02378/NMA for minor changes to the design including raising the ground level a metre but lowering the roof by the same amount, amending the car park layout and some pedestrian ramp a bit. This was approved 23/10/13.

Seems an odd set of changes for a supermarket that surely has a whole bag of cookie-cutter architectural designs lying around? Lowering the roof seems to fit with having the roof height no higher than X, but why raise the ground level a meter to need that? Is there a problem with the water-management on the site?

Seems an odd set of changes for a supermarket that surely has a whole bag of cookie-cutter architectural designs lying around? Lowering the roof seems to fit with having the roof height no higher than X, but why raise the ground level a meter to need that? Is there a problem with the water-management on the site?

There was an issue a few years ago, better safe than sorry

Has this started? Activity on site for the last few days.

Edited by mk72

Has this started? Activity on site for the last few days.

I was going to post something similar.

I noticed a couple of guys with hard hats on site today, so hopefully this is finally starting to move.

Regards

Doom

I was going to post something similar.

I noticed a couple of guys with hard hats on site today, so hopefully this is finally starting to move.

Regards

Doom

Yes work has now started on there.

The thread has been closed on this, which I find odd, as a lot of people will be affected by the building work.

I wanted to add a comment, so have created a new thread.

Have you noticed that the trees just after the roundabout near Hillsborough have been removed. Is this linked to the building work? It is very sD that nature is destroyed.

Finally doing groundworks and stuff. Seems to be a construction company called Barr...

Finally doing groundworks and stuff. Seems to be a construction company called Barr...

If it's the Barr I'm thinking of, they're a Scottish company.

Bill Barr used to own the Ayr Scottish Eagles Ice Hockey team.

Regards

Doom