Sheffield Retail Quarter (ex-"Sevenstone") MEGATHREAD

Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?  

142 members have voted

1. 1. Should there be an independent review of SCC's performance?

• Yes- it would be worth assessing SCC's performance
    • No - not needed / whats the point?
    • Not bothered really

Hopefully it means they will keep some of the older buildings.

Can we have a new name while we're at it as 7-Stone (Weakling) is a joke name and makes us look stupid.

What a terrible picture the Star used. They've obviously just taken a thumbnail image and dragged it larger. God forbid they actually had any pride in their paper and contacted the company for a better one.

Its no wonder the paper is such a laughing stock.

Mind you, the Sevenstone site isn't much better:

ARUNDLE GATE?

http://www.sevenstone.co.uk/index.php?p=key_facts&s=location

Better to wait for the full funding to come through than do some half-arsed sub-standard bodge.

We've seen what a disaster St Pauls has been after they started cutting corners and scaling back plans.

That'd make it the Devonshire 3/16ths :-)

No. 75% of sevenstones = 5.25 stones [= 73.5 pounds, or 32.87 kilogrammes], surely.

No. 75% of sevenstones = 5.25 stones [= 73.5 pounds, or 32.87 kilogrammes], surely.

I bet that's a weight off your mind. :hihi:

...and that's on the "Locaton Map"! (has the word location been cut by an eighth?)

although I must admit I'd have spelt it Arundle if I hadn't checked... but if I was creating a web site for a multi-million pound project, I WOULD check!

I bet that's a weight off your mind.

But you can't get much for £73.50 nowadays.

...and that's on the "Locaton Map"! (has the word location been cut by an eighth?)

although I must admit I'd have spelt it Arundle if I hadn't checked... but if I was creating a web site for a multi-million pound project, I WOULD check!

That image seems to be a sketch so quite possibly by a designer who doesn't actually know the road but for some brief research or, knows the road, just hastily wrote it down with the wrong spelling as they were sketching...

Can't excuse 'locaton' though!

It was announced recently that the redevelopment of the city centre shopping area, i.e. the Sevenstone project, is going ahead - at substantially reduced cost.

In fact, the orignal plan was that it would cost £600M - but the new plan will cost less than half this apparently. Yet, it's only being scaled down in terms of size by 20%. So, how come there's a 50% saving if it's only going to be 20% smaller - bearing in mind also that things tend to go up in price, not down. :huh:

I wonder if part of the answer to this is the fact that John Lewis will NOT be part of it? They announced today that they are not going to have a new store in the Sevenstone centre but will patch up the existing one instead. :(

I think this is bad news for the city. The John Lewis store which was proposed as part of the original plan for the Sevenstone would have been the flagship store for the Sevenstone project. It would have transformed the city centre.

I don't know if any of you have visited the any of the new John Lewis stores around the country but they are really superb. The one planned for Sheffield was going to be along the same lines as the one which opened in Cardiff recently. Ultra modern, large, bright, airy and a fantastic piece of architecture too.

The existing John Lewis store is fit only for demolition. It is a tired, boring piece of 1960's architecture and it is limited in terms of size. To learn that they are going to stay put and patch it up is a big disappointment for anyone out there who would like Sheffield to refresh itself and become a really top shopping city.

Without a new John Lewis store I wonder what the value and appeal of this new Sevenstone centre will be? My concern is that we'll just end up building another Arndale type centre full of all the usual high street chain shops and it will be done on the cheap. Further setting Sheffield backwards rather than advancing us into the future.:mad:

There's no imagination in Sheffield so I'm not expecting the reduced Sevenstone to have any exciting, new and different shops to any other shopping arcade across the country. We'll have a lot less than originally proposed but don't get too excited about what we actually end up with either

There's no imagination in Sheffield so I'm not expecting the reduced Sevenstone to have any exciting, new and different shops to any other shopping arcade across the country. We'll have a lot less than originally proposed but don't get too excited about what we actually end up with either

the original plan wouldn't have produced anything exciting, new or different so now we're just going to have less of the same

I'm wary of devlopments like Sevenstone because they transform public spaces into privately owned enclosed spaces patrolled and policed by private security guards.

Freedom of expression is no-longer permitted if the land-owner doesn't like what you've got to say. Streets that were once public are gated and shut off outside of opening hours (much like Orchard Square is now) and public assemblies or protests can't take place on that land. What benefit are Sevenstone going to provide that will make it worthwhile?