Sheffield sayings and rhymes

I can see where your coming from Willybite, but I definitely remember it as PIPPY not puppet..

Could it have been a derivative of "peep show"?

In our family it was always, "Thart mekkin a reyt pippa show o' thissen".

Another delightful phrase of mum's "If eez reight in 'ead I know weer thiz an 'ouseful of 'em"

What about trundering...As in ill trunder off to work,or,the bus went trundering past me.Dont know where i heard this word but use it often..

What about trundering...As in ill trunder off to work,or,the bus went trundering past me.Dont know where i heard this word but use it often..

I always thought it was trundling and that possibly there was a certain type of bus called a trundle bus. So when someone was trundling along it meant that they were moving at a steady pace.

I always thought it was trundling and that possibly there was a certain type of bus called a trundle bus. So when someone was trundling along it meant that they were moving at a steady pace.

Hi that might be it and ive altered it over the years..In fact i think youre right.. Still havent a clue where i got it from:hihi:

Hi that might be it and ive altered it over the years..In fact i think youre right.. Still havent a clue where i got it from:hihi:

hiya i think a lot of words and phrases are changed over time, i nearly did it spelling phrases with an F, anyhow when i was young the word was trundling as trundling along, i've never heard of it being a buses name, in fact there were only buses by name until the bendy bus came along, of course tram,trollie bus; the way we used it was, cum on lets trundle along, like trot, or move a bit faster when walking.

anybody remember modeling with pitch, in the summer when the heat made the tar in between the road blocks bubble up, it sometimes found its way into your hair, then your mother would use butter to try to get it out, if not the scissors would be used.

Edited by willybite

And how about Worthy's sharra - a plum coloured old coach filled with spice (sweets not curry powder) and probably tons of other stuff, but we were only interested in the spice.

Spice (meaning sweets) is, as far as I can make out, a Sheffield word.

I wonder how that one started...

Even though I've lived down south for 30 years, I still mash a cup o' tea.

I remember the first time we took me Dad to an Indian restaurant, he said, "Aye it's not bad this Indian snap"

When my Father in Law sits in front of the telly complaining about a news item, my Mother in Law says "Geeyore chuntering"

I've only heard" moant" used instead of "mustn't"

I'd almost forgotten, the opposite of mon't is mun.

I spotted it while looking through this :-

http://www.archive.org/stream/sheffielddialect00bywa/sheffielddialect00bywa_djvu.txt

There are a lot of typos in it, but still very interesting. The names intrigue me - Jooa Slitspring, Jack Wheelswarf etc.

The other thing I noticed is the way they pronounce round and pound as rahnd and pahnd, a bloke I used to work with from Eckington still pronounces those words that way.

As in "If tha dun't know spice are sweets, tha't not frum rahnd 'ere"

Spice (meaning sweets) is, as far as I can make out, a Sheffield word. I wonder how that one started...

There's a whole thread about this here. Apparently it's only in the Sheffield area that people (or at least, older people) refer to sweets as spice, and it evidently comes from the fact that sweets were made of sugar and spices such as cinnamon, mint etc. The fact that Sheffield has a number of sweet factories such as Bassets and Simpkins probably helped it along.

Edited by hillsbro

And how about Worthy's sharra - a plum coloured old coach filled with spice (sweets not curry powder) and probably tons of other stuff, but we were only interested in the spice. We used to call him the Sunday Man but I suppose he went to other areas on different days. He was a moody bloke; maungey one week and jokey the next.

First Job - the misadventures of two 70s Sheffield lads at http://www.birkett.yolasite.com

Apparently Worthy was a regular all over northern Sheffield and not just Parson Cross.

Did anyone go to replenish their fire with coal from the coil oil?

Apparently Worthy was a regular all over northern Sheffield and not just Parson Cross.

Did anyone go to replenish their fire with coal from the coil oil?

Coil oils and chip oils, we were alliss gooin tut chipoil dahn 't rooad for 3 pennorth wi scraps.

I've no idea where the oil (presumably hole) came from.