Sheffield sayings and rhymes

How did a cigarette become a fag ?...

Don't tell me people used to smoke faggot's a one time :confused:

Another one, - Tab-end

Edited by grinder

How did a cigarette become a fag ?...

Don't tell me people used to smoke faggot's a one time :confused:

Another one, - Tab-end

found this on another forum...."the origin of "fag" to mean cigarette and gay man are similar because, as someone mentioned, it originally came from kindling, and progressed to gay man because sodomites and such were burned for their crimes against nature and all that. The fag to mean cigarette origin is obviously due to burning a cigarette like one might burn kindling." :huh:

found this on another forum...."the origin of "fag" to mean cigarette and gay man are similar because, as someone mentioned, it originally came from kindling, and progressed to gay man because sodomites and such were burned for their crimes against nature and all that. The fag to mean cigarette origin is obviously due to burning a cigarette like one might burn kindling." :huh:

Interesting, but I would have thought that the practice of burning people had long since gone before the cigarette became popular, Personally I would be more inclined to look to Public Schools for the answer...

Edited by grinder

As da got any"DOSH" ?

Nayow am "SKINT".

Oh. wi carnt guh to "FLICKS" den.

Why, ant dah got owt in di "SKY ROCKET" ?

Owny fluff...

hiya the demise of a lot of the sheffield slang words was just after the war when sheffielders were away they were influenced by the foreigners in the british army eg southerners,,,, they came back using gobldigook instead of proper english like what we tork an unerstand . as like apples and pears and sky rocket, in the early 50s young blokes started using and talking like cockneys thats how these words were stopped being used.

Edited by willybite

Telegraph or Telephone poles.:|

TALLYWAG POLE:

I remember this as the name for a "telegraph pole" ! It's the wooden telephone pole that stands on our streets and carries the cables for our telephones.

hiya the demise of a lot of the sheffield slang words was just after the war when sheffielders were away they were influenced by the foreigners in the british army eg southerners,,,, they came back using gobldigook instead of proper english like what we tork an unerstand .like apples and pears and sky rocket, in the early 50s young blokes started using and talking like cockneys thats how these words were stopped being used.

around where i lived the pubs customers had their own way of saying where they were going for a drink eg,, we're going in harvey floods,dog,two steps, wesh,gillies,eliotts,bill gleads,it was a few years later that i had to think the real names of some of these pubs.this was all over town years ago like mucky duck, and low drop, and powie smiths,oddies.

having read some of the posts on smoking some smokers complain about the cost of their cigs,well i know from experiance when i smoked 33 years ago, a smoker woudn't throw away half a cig as they do today,thay couldn't afford to, another thing you dont see men picking tab ends up in the street as you used to,they would have a birthday today

Edited by willybite

When my father broke wind, he'd say "Good ars*!" rather than "Good arrer".

So did my mother! She also used to say "it's a poor arse that can't rejoice"..:o

TALLYWAG POLE:

I remember this as the name for a "telegraph pole" ! It's the wooden telephone pole that stands on our streets and carries the cables for our telephones.

And gassys, even today I still call street lights Gas-lamps, but then I get gales of laughter when I call the Radio the Wireless as well...

And gassys, even today I still call street lights Gas-lamps, but then I get gales of laughter when I call the Radio the Wireless as well...

My mum still goes to the post office to pay the 'electric' light bill:loopy:

I also get laughed at for listening to the wireless.Mind you,I'm not going to wittle myself about it!

I also get laughed at for listening to the wireless.Mind you,I'm not going to wittle myself about it!

Thank god for that, thought I was the only one.

I still have a record player, in fact untill recently I had a radiogram, remember those?

Edited by grinder