Sheffield sayings and rhymes

hiya can you remember the different names used if somebody died, there was, is deed,or popped his cloggs,or his deeard,or is pegged it,or his turned his tooers up, or his kippered it,or gon tu meet his mekker,or kicked the bucket a bit morbid i know but these were sayings when i was young, ee wer on is last legs yesterdy was another.

Edited by willybite

my mother in law was fond of saying, like going down the clyde on a bike, which meant thas gorr as much chance as catching fork lightning, no chance, bless her cotton socks, i miss my mother in law lol

Woman showing her under skirt "She's got weshin aat"

Down Grimesthorpe we'd say I can see next weeks washing!

What ever happened to rag week and the Star walk ?

Both a big part of Sheffield culture ...

Rag week still happens but not as good as it was don't know if the parade happens now, also last l knew about star walk was when my now 27 year old daughter entered it at age of 11 as part of her primary school team we've got her photos and medal hidden away somewhere in our loft !

Rag week still happens but not as good as it was don't know if the parade happens now, also last l knew about star walk was when my now 27 year old daughter entered it at age of 11 as part of her primary school team we've got her photos and medal hidden away somewhere in our loft !

You've now got the "chugger" types, on Fargate, selling their own rag-mag*, the lying sods have been saying "It's student rag-week" for almost 2 months now...

* not a local Rag-mag:- Not providing a spiderbus for local children, no sebastian toots, nothing. Very naughty of them.

Another local-ish phrase? "Standing there like clem".

My mum would say "standing there like souse" but my dad would say "standing there like a gas lamp".

If someone told my dad a story he didn't believe, he would say "Aye - I've heard ducks fart before"..:)

I found myself using a saying today that I haven't done for years. 'Turn', as in 'You're a turn', or something like 'He's a bit of a turn.' Meaning a character or someone who makes you laugh.

TURN, That brings it back Texas..

It's what they used to call the acts on WMCs "Who's turn toneet den"....

You could also have a bit of a turn if your not well, or you can even do some one a good turn....

Whilst lying in bed this morning, thing about my formative years, I recalled that, during WW2, when we had precious few toys, one thing we used to do was to scrawm up a gas lamp and swing on the arms. I have never come across that word away from Sheffield. Also gas lamp was a generic term for any kind of street lamp, regardless of its energy source.

Mike

..You could also have a bit of a turn if your not well...
You mean if you're feeling a bit "off o' t' hooks"..:P

You mean if you're feeling a bit "off o' t' hooks"..:P

But if tha were feelin' alreight, tha'd probably say tha were 'fair to middlin' tha knows'.