Sheffield sayings and rhymes

For tea we sometimes had a run round the table and a kick at the cellar door.Other times we'd have "roast leg of liver"

When asked where he was going,my dad used to say"I'm going puppy trotting to see the monkies jump"or"I'm going to see a man about a dog"

If my mum saw anyone who looked mucky she would say they look as if they havnt had a wesh since midwife weshed em

PT you got me thinking so I checked with my son who as a toddler was often on the receiving end of this little game. The ears are bells to be rung one at a time and the cheeks are chairs where one cheek was tweaked to the line 'take a chair' then the other cheek was tweaked as you said the line 'place it there'. Apparently after 'walking in' the chin was tweaked in time to the line 'how do you do this morning'. And I thought my son never ever listened to me. Obviously as a toddler he did!

right on chimay you've saved me time the one missing was wipe your feet across the top lip when the baby would open its mouth.

For tea we sometimes had a run round the table and a kick at the cellar door.Other times we'd have "roast leg of liver"

My gran would say we were having "pickled herring feet and bow-legged chicklings"..:confused:

anybody else remember ppl saying moant, instead of wont?

I've only heard" moant" used instead of "mustn't"

that must be it....i'm talking about over 20 years since i heard it!! ty:)

Anyone heard the expression"Good wood warms you twice,once when you cut it,once when you burn it"

Scene-our old joiners shop:-

Na then Jud, 'as thee any sticks fo't fire?

Aye lad,but it's not very good wood.

Why's that?

'Cause I've cut it,tha's on'y gonna burn it!

Well,can I 'ave some any road?

Please thee sen!

that must be it....i'm talking about over 20 years since i heard it!! ty:)
Don't you live in Sheff anymore, maxine? I hear it everyday. If you mix with a lot of people in your job, you still hear a lot of the old sayings and way of talking. I like it, having lived most of my younger life part here and part in London, it always makes me feel a bit soft when someone calls me lad, or tells me I'm shaping fine or job's a good un! :D

Don't you live in Sheff anymore, maxine? I hear it everyday. If you mix with a lot of people in your job, you still hear a lot of the old sayings and way of talking. I like it, having lived most of my younger life part here and part in London, it always makes me feel a bit soft when someone calls me lad, or tells me I'm shaping fine or job's a good un! :D

lol, am about to return (evil laugh smilie neeed) looks like im in for a culture shock :)

right on chimay you've saved me time the one missing was wipe your feet across the top lip when the baby would open its mouth.

Thanks willybite. I didn't know about wiping your feet across the top lip. What is the line and where does that fit into the rhyme?