The State Of Our Roads..

How come no matter what road you drive on in Sheffield, it's FULL!!! of bloody pot holes???? I drove to Rotherham yesterday and as soon as i got past the motorway roundabout (from Chapeltown) there were very little if any pot holes!!! How come every where has better roads then us??:huh:
have you been on holiday for the last month,due to adverse weather condition like frost snow salt etc the roads are in need of some repair,and unfotuanatley its only just over a week since weather got better so,it will take a while for repairs to be done,you could always take a holiday to haiti and really see what bad roads are like.

I understand they may get a grant for installing speed humps.

Bloody speed bumps!

if they get grants for speed bumps, can't they just join them all up so it's not actually bumpy? it'd make sense.

wow funny you should say that, i was thinking the same the last few days,

it seemed to happen after the snow cleared?!

the road i'm on about it ecclesfield road starting from woolley wood motors, towards chapeltown/ecclesfield

whats happened is that the roads in sheffield are so bad and full of cracks that when the water from the snow etc went into the cracks it then froze(the water)then expanded and opened up the cracks into potholes thats why they have seemed to suddenly appeared from nowhere.

I have had nail after nail in my tyres because it seems that lorries going over speed bumps just shed them all over the roads,the roads are a big disgrace and we pay road tax for this rubbish, sheffield council just despises drivers look at the roundabout near chaucer school the road is sinking, soon cars will disappear into the road there,i dont blame people who buy 4x4's, you need them to drive on these roads i;m having regular tyre and tracking problems because of these roads ..........when are we gonna get get what we pay for ..decent roads to dreive on?

Edited by nuffsaid

The facts are, the city council are not stupid, corrupt, delusionary even, but not stupid. Well some of them are but that's by the by. They know it is cheaper to gamble on litigation from people falling and injuring themselves via potholes, plus claims from drivers who have proved the pothole was a contributary factor in their car being damaged than to shell out £100,000 to a road contractor to repair a few metres of road with no mandatory penalty clauses for timing or quality of work.

Do any of our councillors drive? No, they cadge lifts and walk and cycle so they don't give a monkey's about the roads.

Whilstever they can get away with sending a lorry full of loose tarmac and a bloke with a shovel to chuck it in the pothioles and bash it down flat, they will do. This is how the Sheffield $hitty Council operates, cheap and shabby.

Edited by zepstox

most of roads were in need of repair way before the bad weather, i admit it hasn't helped any but thats not just the cause, all they do is put a little left over tar in a hole and within a few hours its out again, so to me why waste the money doing silly little repairs cause in long run, its prob cheaper to just do the whole road, and if you live near monteney rd and drive on there you'll soon known what i mean!!

Does any road tax actually go to local authorities for road maintainace? Imnot so sure, it's an emissions tax now isn't it. I'd guess most of what's raised via this tax goes towards road safety grants, the highways authority for motorways and trunk road maintainance.

If this is correct, and Sheffield city council relies on what's raised from council tax and a some cash from the government it's easy to see why the roads are in as bad a state as now.

A very small percentage of council tax goes to highways, for a band A property it's £5 per month. And for this roads, signals, road markings, signs etc are all covered. I pointed thisout in one of the many gritting threads a few weeks ago. You can see this in the councils council tax leaflet on their website.

The PFI scheme will hopefully see some improvement to the roads although there doesnt appear to be enough money to do everything to the roads and replace all the street lighting as has been quoted. We will see I suppose. It can't get worse than before really.

Your prayer is answered :)

Road vehicle tax is not collected by the government solely to pay for road repairs, road maintenance, road building, or anything at all specifically to do with roads.

It's lumped together with other collected taxes, like VAT, tobacco & alcohol duties, etc., and goes straight into the Exchequer to pay for schools, hospitals, police, defence, etc., and some of the taxes (but not all of it) gets spent on roads.

So does the highways departmet in Sheffield get their full standard spending Assesment what the government allocate to Sheffield city Council for Highway Maintenance?????

:|:|

most of roads were in need of repair way before the bad weather, i admit it hasn't helped any but thats not just the cause, all they do is put a little left over tar in a hole and within a few hours its out again, so to me why waste the money doing silly little repairs cause in long run, its prob cheaper to just do the whole road, and if you live near monteney rd and drive on there you'll soon known what i mean!!

Perhaps it's because the long run doesn't show up in yearly budgets????

Another reason why roads are so bad is the private service companies who dig the road up and put it back without using proper rollers. End result the road sags and cracks water gets in frost shattering etc large pot holes.

They should be made to come back and do it properly.

So does the highways departmet in Sheffield get their full standard spending Assesment what the government allocate to Sheffield city Council for Highway Maintenance?????

:|:|

The Council's capital and revenue budgets are published on their website, why don't you have a look.