Teaching - The Only Profession To Be Sure Of A Day Off When It Snows

That in itself, says how much you know. If you calculate the hours the average teacher does per week, not to mention the ones who accompany school trips, they in fact get less holidays altogether than a lot of better paid jobs, that don't have to put up with the usual profession-bashing either.

We have got a chip on our shoulder, haven't we? Thankfully, at least some schools are putting the health and safety of pupils first. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to go down well with their parents.

Tell that to the nurses who all went to work this week

Probably, had they been able to get there!

Anyway... Shouldn't you be getting to work or something by now?

;)

Too hungover from a mad **** up with my teacher mates last night :hihi:

Can you prove the accusations you're throwing about or are you simply grabbing at unfounded aspersions.

Oh, they all went to work did they? Just like every teacher didn't turn up in your friend's school? :hihi:

Do you know what Doctors, Lawyers, MPs get paid and what holidays they get? :hihi:

100 members of staff could have probably cleared it with shovels by now :hihi:

Yeah and thanks to all these health and safety laws, they're not allowed to in case they pull their back.

Seriously, I don't think it's the teachers. A lot of teachers do make it in but are sent home again as the school's closed.

The problem lies with the litigious society we have these days - 'back in the day' when schools didn't close as much for bad weather, you could also do a lot more without it contravening health and safety and if someone fell over a paving slab it was 'oh you daft cretin' not 'ooh you can claim for that'.

They also made a good point on the news this morning, somewhat ridiculously, if the school opens and kids don't make it in, they're marked as truant! Not fair for the child, but that's why schools won't open because if there's more chance of kids not making it in, their truancy numbers will go up and they'll go down in the league tables :rolleyes:

It may not be lack of teachers that closes the school so much as the head deciding the icy conditions are too much of a risk of injury to the kids.

No doubt people would be complaining if their kids slipped on ice at school and hurt themselves.

The schools can't win either way.

Exactly. I suspect the main reason behind more schools closing now than when I was a kid is that the health and safety rules are much stricter now. My little uns school arent even allowed to grit the playground, in case a child falls on it and grazes themselves. :loopy:

Theres lots of reasons why a school would decide (or be told) to close, you cant just blame the teachers.

I'm assuming all this support for teachers is actually from teachers having another day off........

Now then, where did i put that packet of rich t biscuits and my copy of Hello magazine.........:hihi:

Too hungover from a mad **** up with my teacher mates last night :hihi:

There's nowt worse than a troll with a hangover.

I'm assuming all this support for teachers is actually from teachers having another day off........

Now then, where did i put that packet of rich t biscuits and my copy of Hello magazine.........:hihi:

Maybe they're hiding in the chip on your shoulder.

This debate reminds me of the Python sketch 'Four Yorkshiremen'

When I were a lad....we used to walk 50 miles to get to school....

You were lucky enough to walk...we lived 80 miles ago and we had no legs and had to CRAWL to school.......

i'm not going to read all the posts....here at Heritage Park we've been here all week, fully staffed :D We've actually had no kids!! Parents not sending them in and special needs transport has been cancelled upto today.

We have staff from Nottingham, Rotherham, Chapletown and Barnsley and all have made it in everyday.

:D

Maybe they're hiding in the chip on your shoulder.

Maybe its hiding in all that snow on your drive preventing you from getting to work..........