Barbara Mayo 1970

Does anyone remember the murder of Barbara Mayo in 1970?

I remember seeing posters giving details of where she was found near Sheffield and have always remembered the name.

I have moved from the area now and just wondered if the murderer was ever found.

Thanks Chairboy,

That is interesting.

I remember the murder, she was found at the side of the M1 near Chesterfield. This was in the days before computers and i think the Police were looking for a certain kind of car (cant remember what) There as something about a bag that she had with an elephant motif. I dont think they ever found the murderer. However with DNA there may be a chance.

I remember seeing posters giving details of where she was found near Sheffield and have always remembered the name.

I have moved from the area now and just wondered if the murderer was ever found.

I remember the murder, she was found at the side of the M1 near Chesterfield. This was in the days before computers and i think the Police were looking for a certain kind of car (cant remember what) There as something about a bag that she had with an elephant motif. I dont think they ever found the murderer. However with DNA there may be a chance.

Many long unsolved crimes are being solved now due to DNA - it's only a matter of time.............

I also remember the murder of Barbara Mayo l believe that she was found in a wood somewhere in the north of England. lf l remember rightly there was a suspicion that a guy already in prison for murdering women is the prime suspect for her murder.

The car they were looking for was a Morris 1000 Traveller. I had one at the time. I was interviewed about a year later. Somehow I managed to remember what I was doing a year earlier, normally I can't remember what I was doing yesterday.

I remember this as a kid. She was found not far from Junction 29, the Heath exit as it was called.

Thank you for remembering my Aunt Barbara Mayo. Despite many leads, the case being reopened, and the advancement of DNA her killer has never been brought to justice.

Thank you for remembering my Aunt Barbara Mayo. Despite many leads, the case being reopened, and the advancement of DNA her killer has never been brought to justice.

Please check your private message box

Thank you Xenia for your private message. It seems I can't personally reply until I have posted on the forum five times, but I wanted to let you know that I appreciate your thoughts.

I vaguely remember the Barbara Mayo case. I'm now hoping to produce a podcast about the murder of Barbara and Jacci Ansell-Lamb. If you have any information, please get in touch.