Salt Bins & Road Gritting In Sheffield

after it ran out we all rang up to ask for it to be refilled, been out this morning to get some and found its been filled with sand

are they running out of grit already?

Looks like it, i was driving down near longley earlier today, and it looked like sand all over the road.

It will be grit sand mixed with the white salt that was bought last year, not rock salt.

Where do you live? In the north of the city? There's a huge pile of grit sand mixed with white salt at Deepcar that's being used to fill grit bins in that area.

A few dayss ago I checked four grit bins round Woodseats and they all had this ssand mix in and I would much prefer to of found something a bit more coarse but hope this stuff does the same job.

Hmmmmm excuse my stupidness but how on earth can you run out of grit????

Is sheffield not prepared for any snow fall at all...instead of using all the grit and getting more which is probably quite expensive why dont they just buy a second hand snowplow and hire someone to go round the streets shifting the snow....that would be alot easier...

God help us if we have really really bad snow like Canada...we'll go into complete lockdown lol.

Oh and in response to the salt my dad uses that on the snow on the steps and it disolves the snow as if it was a slug lol...so i reckon its quite good for clearning snow.

Hmmmmm excuse my stupidness but how on earth can you run out of grit????

Is sheffield not prepared for any snow fall at all...instead of using all the grit and getting more which is probably quite expensive why dont they just buy a second hand snowplow and hire someone to go round the streets shifting the snow....that would be alot easier...

God help us if we have really really bad snow like Canada...we'll go into complete lockdown lol.

Must admit, I think that makes perfect sense. Why don't the councill fit the plough attatchments to the grit waggons?

Must admit, I think that makes perfect sense. Why don't the councill fit the plough attatchments to the grit waggons?

Thats an even better idea!!!!

it was only a couple of weeks ago that we got a local paper telling us we had ten thousand tons extra grit salt this year and we was ready for anything.

Because we very rarely have sufficient depth of snow on the roads to make that a viable proposition.

Post Removed by posters request

Edited by sheffielder2
edit

In many areas they do but for the ploughs to work effectively, the road surface needs to be level and smooth or they just tear big lumps from the road surface.

Now you know that, the main reason that Sheffield council dare not use plough's is.....

Answers on a postcard to..