Salt Bins & Road Gritting In Sheffield

I would just like to say thanks to sheffield council for keeping the grit bin topped up near my mum and dads house in ecclesfield. As they are both dissabled it makes things a bit safer underfoot if they have to venture out.

Post Removed by posters request

Edited by sheffielder2
edit

Guest sibon
sounds like the only area in sheffield to have gritt

Great post Spooferman.

Loads of areas have grit though. Good job, or we'd all be blaming the council.

Great post Spooferman.

Loads of areas have grit though. Good job, or we'd all be blaming the council.

Summers on it's way soon, god chill out it might never happen.

Nowt like creeping is there..

So it seems that their is no problem in accessing and filling up the thousands of grit bins as priority over collecting refuse wheelie bins?

The street I live on looks like a third world refuse site and an eyesore comparable to a toxic waste dump due to missed collections! or to be more precise "Rat-Heaven"

and people wonder why communities become "strained" when the environment becomes filthy? ,,,BUT the councils wisdom in focusing on allowing millions of tonnes of grit salt to be thrown everywhere in that archaic old practice cannot be questioned I suppose?

I welcome the day when we receive wintry conditions true to our latitude of monthly long uninterrupted snowfall and average temperatures in the well below freezing range both daytime & night! Pathetic IMO :rant:

objectional pro-council posts hereby welcomed!

So it seems that their is no problem in accessing and filling up the thousands of grit bins as priority over collecting refuse wheelie bins?

The street I live on looks like a third world refuse site and an eyesore comparable to a toxic waste dump due to missed collections! or to be more precise "Rat-Heaven"

and people wonder why communities become "strained" when the environment becomes filthy? ,,,BUT the councils wisdom in focusing on allowing millions of tonnes of grit salt to be thrown everywhere in that archaic old practice cannot be questioned I suppose?

I welcome the day when we receive wintry conditions true to our latitude of monthly long uninterrupted snowfall and average temperatures in the well below freezing range both daytime & night! Pathetic IMO :rant:

objectional pro-council posts hereby welcomed!

What has filling grit bins and gritting the roads got to do with bin collection

The gritting is carried out by Street Force operated by the council.

The refuse collection is carried out by Veolia a French owned

multi-national company. And has no connection to gritting operations.

I would say that road gritting must take prefernce to bin collection,

or the whole city could descend into chaos.

Surely people have got to take some blame for the state of the area

they live, if they have let it descend into. Quote "The street I live on looks like a third world refuse site "

Worryingly, after having to go to Deepcar tip to take our accumulated rubbish from the last 2 weeks (no bin collection last week), I noted how low the stock of grit salt seems to be. Some weeks ago it was huge and now it appears decimated. Is this same at other storage sites throughout Sheffield, and do we need to be worried?

Worryingly, after having to go to Deepcar tip to take our accumulated rubbish from the last 2 weeks (no bin collection last week), I noted how low the stock of grit salt seems to be. Some weeks ago it was huge and now it appears decimated. Is this same at other storage sites throughout Sheffield, and do we need to be worried?

According to The Star today

Sheffield Council have have stated

That they currently have 15,000 tons of rock salt in stock

50%more than a year ago. They have also placed a further 50 grit bins

around the area bringing the total to 1750.

I think they've been using the grit at Deepcar to refill the grit bins around the city. It's also gone down over a period of several weeks, so I'd imagine that there is still a few weeks worth of grit there at the moment.

It's also not the only grit storage place in Sheffield, they keep loads more at the Olive Grove depot. I don't think it's anything to worry about. If you're really concerned, email/phone street force. :)

According to The Star today

Sheffield Council have have stated

That they currently have 15,000 tons of rock salt in stock

50%more than a year ago. They have also placed a further 50 grit bins

around the area bringing the total to 1750.

Thanks Bazjea - missed that one!

I think they've been using the grit at Deepcar to refill the grit bins around the city. It's also gone down over a period of several weeks, so I'd imagine that there is still a few weeks worth of grit there at the moment.

It's also not the only grit storage place in Sheffield, they keep loads more at the Olive Grove depot. I don't think it's anything to worry about. If you're really concerned, email/phone street force. :)

Really good to hear - let's hope though that the weather doesn't have to test it too much :)