Cyclists on Penistone Road - Please use the cycle lane!

Resurrecting a thread here to make the point that 'swivel-eyed' arguments about cyclists and those who obsess about them and their 'impact' on the roads and your 'entitlement' to them as a driver are a dangerous liability, see http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/bike-blog/2013/may/21/twitter-hit-and-run-boast-road-tax

Hopefully some outspoken members of society out there will get the message that it's someone's husband/wife, son/daughter, father/mother, using the roads as a cyclist, not some fleshy object of hate that deserves to be knocked off their bike and potentially left for dead.

This story is a chilling reminder that hate-filled arguments about cyclists are first of all completely misguided and offensive, but secondly, potentially deadly. What a disturbing lack of care this woman showed towards human life, not only running the cyclist over but then bragging about it on Twitter. It's the same irrational hatred of cycling and cyclists that a number of posts on here show too.

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 15:44 ----------

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-22602141

It would be safer if the incompetent drivers who cannot safely pass a cyclist catch the bus instead.

Cycles are allowed on the road.

The Highway Code acknowledges that cyclists may prefer to use the road.

Using the road is usually quicker.

Using the road avoids all the broken glass and other detritus that often finds its way onto cycle paths. (admittedly not usually the case on Penistone Road, I think).

Cycle paths often include lots of junctions and interfaces where it is necessary to cross other roads - this can be more dangerous than going with the flow on the road itself.

But back to your reasoning as to why cyclists should use the path - it appears to be because of the poor standard of driving, not cycling. So, cyclists are put in danger by bad driving, and you seem to be blaming the cyclists. Wouldn't your efforts be better spent in trying to improve driving ability - particularly your own if you are coming close to hitting them with your mirrors. Stop blaming the victim - put your own house in order first.

Edit - I forgot to add, if drivers cannot safely overtake, they should wait.

Another edit: It can sometimes be a problem, especially for the faster cyclists, to pass pedestrians on the cycle paths. Some pedestrians tend to wander between the footpath and the cycle path without realising they are two different tracks. As a result, cyclists are slowed down even further. So the faster cyclists are less inclined to use them.

the cycle lanes I have been in have been littered with glass and had big chunks missing from the road. Had 5 punctures in less than a month.

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 15:44 ----------

[/color]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-22602141

The sidebar on that BBC story (source gov.uk) is the definitive statement and should be posted on here every time we have an ill informed road tax statement.

The so-called 'Road Tax'

The comment on Twitter suggested Toby Hockley, as a cyclist, does not pay "road tax".

A road tax does not exist in the UK but the term is commonly and incorrectly used to refer to the Vehicle Excise Duty (VED), or "car tax" paid on most motorised vehicles as a tax on emissions.

Roads are funded by all UK taxpayers under general and local taxes.

Source:Gov.uk

This story is a chilling reminder that hate-filled arguments about cyclists are first of all completely misguided and offensive, but secondly, potentially deadly. What a disturbing lack of care this woman showed towards human life, not only running the cyclist over but then bragging about it on Twitter. It's the same irrational hatred of cycling and cyclists that a number of posts on here show too.

This +1.

How long before ill-informed internet arguments about road use, tax and entitlement are used to justify ramming into children, "because they didn't pay road tax"? Disturbing. Some of the posters on here should be ashamed. Think people. Think.

Edited by meshuga

The police have tracked down this reckless and possibly murderous young woman, hopefully she'll soon be on the bus, if not behind bars.

I have to talk to our students about the pitfalls of using social media.

This one is definitely going down as an example of how not to do it.

Also the lovely chap who tweeted,

"road-tax 1 cyclists 0”

after Ross & Clare Simons were killed by disqualified driver Nicholas Lovell in a hit & run in Bristol.

the cycle lanes I have been in have been littered with glass and had big chunks missing from the road. Had 5 punctures in less than a month.

Its getting ridiculous now, when do the road sweepers go onto the pavement to clear the glass??.

The police have tracked down this reckless and possibly murderous young woman, hopefully she'll soon be on the bus, if not behind bars.

I'm under the impression her employers are taking action too.

---------- Post added 21-05-2013 at 21:35 ----------

I have to talk to our students about the pitfalls of using social media.

This one is definitely going down as an example of how not to do it.

Well, maybe it's a good thing when people who are so morally defective expose themselves and are subjected to greater punishment than they would otherwise receive.

I'm under the impression her employers are taking action too.

..and apparently they sponsor a cycling event, so her actions reflect very badly

Oh dear. :hihi:

Having used the Penistone Road cycle track a few times recently I can assure you that the surface is smooth, pristine and free of broken glass. The reason some cyclists don't use it is because of the start/stop nature of the ride and no other reason.

Having used the Penistone Road cycle track a few times recently I can assure you that the surface is smooth, pristine and free of broken glass. The reason some cyclists don't use it is because of the start/stop nature of the ride and no other reason.

In other words, bad design --- probably by people who don't even cycle.

In other words, bad design --- probably by people who don't even cycle.

I'll agree with that, no shortage of poorly thought out cycle routes with bugger all regard for the users round here that's for sure.