Cyclists on Penistone Road - Please use the cycle lane!

Thought the anti-cycling brigade had been quiet for a while now...

Get a life. Or maybe get a bike - you will get to where you are going much fitter and much less stressed.

when cyclist pay tax and insurance then they can have more of a say

cars are a hell of a lot more expensive than cycles

I travel to work at 5am and have passed cyclist who are dressed in dark clothing no lights etc

Some cyclist are a menace on the roads weaving in and out of traffic

They should abide by the rules of the road

Many cycle side by side no intentions of moving

If they want the same rights they should pay for them

I agree they should stay in cycle lanes that is what they are there for

i pay council tax, that's where the money for the roads comes from so i have as much right to be there as you. in fact, should we ban anyone who doesn't pay council tax off the roads? no i didn't think so.

---------- Post added 18-07-2013 at 11:37 ----------

An easy way to make yourself feel less outraged and embittered is to recognise that, apart from certain stretches of highway such as the Humber and Skye bridges, and the M6 Toll Road, use of the road is free to all. One doesn't pay to use the road per se, one pays to use a motor vehicle on it. There IS a difference.

should i annoy drivers more and tell them that the humber bridge is free to cross for cyclists and pedestrians :hihi:

Thought the anti-cycling brigade had been quiet for a while now...

Get a life. Or maybe get a bike - you will get to where you are going much fitter and much less stressed.

I used to be one of the anti-cycling brigade, then got a bike for a large part of my commute (work in Wakey so drive part and cycle part) and never looked back.

The cycle to work scheme makes it even better ( had 2 bikes and a baby trailer on it upto now), means the whole family is now biked up.

Highway code 66

Quote:

You should Never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

so you are ok as long as you don't ride 3 abreast :-)

I used to be one of the anti-cycling brigade, then got a bike for a large part of my commute (work in Wakey so drive part and cycle part) and never looked back.

The cycle to work scheme makes it even better ( had 2 bikes and a baby trailer on it upto now), means the whole family is now biked up.

That's great! Keep it up.

Woohoo! I wonder how many other cycle bashers could do the same.

Its not like it would ever happen the other way round either. "I used to be a cyclist but then I got a car etc" Most cyclists already have cars too (revelation alert!).

Is there not a bin nearby that you could put it in, if it's been there so long already and you're worried of the damage it could cause?

I don't tend to carry a dustpan and brush when I'm cycling to work :hihi:

Plus, I pay my council tax for stuff like this.

I can quite happily avoid it, but there is getting to be too much to avoid.

Woohoo! I wonder how many other cycle bashers could do the same.

Even Jeremy Clarkson[1] has seen the light now so you never know.

[1] Does this mean Penistone999 will have to get a new avatar?

Highway code 66

Quote:

You should Never ride more than two abreast, and ride in single file on narrow or busy roads and when riding round bends

so you are ok as long as you don't ride 3 abreast :-)

...or don't do it on busy roads...

---------- Post added 19-07-2013 at 00:09 ----------

Is there not a bin nearby that you could put it in, if it's been there so long already and you're worried of the damage it could cause?

I don't tend to carry a dustpan and brush when I'm cycling to work :hihi:

Plus, I pay my council tax for stuff like this.

I can quite happily avoid it, but there is getting to be too much to avoid.

With the way the council keeps making cuts, I wouldn't bank on your council tax being used for stuff like this - i'm sure the council would love to get an army of volunteers (like the gamesmakers at the Olympics) to do their dirty work...

Can I please report that when I rode on this cycle path today, there were two other cyclists alos obeying Rule 61 of the highway code. It's just that this sort of thing doesn't get posted very often.

Mind you it's difficult to turn into Flora Street.

cycling needs to be improved, especially up netherthorpe road.

There are many students and I'm guessing people who work at the Northern General who risk life and limb cycling up that road in rush hour.

Why not allow one lane of Netherthorpe Road to become a cycle lane during evening rush hour (2pm to 7pm) and also the morning rush hour (6am to 11am) that way cyclists don't have to run the gauntlet with car users.

Even if it saves one life its a good idea