Cyclists on Penistone Road - Please use the cycle lane!

So you dont want motorists driving in cycle lanes ,but its okay for cyclists to ride outside the cycle lanes with motorists ?

Yes.

So you dont want motorists driving in cycle lanes ,but its okay for cyclists to ride outside the cycle lanes with motorists ?

Yes, that's right. It's good to see that finally you are starting to understand how it works. But just in case it is difficult for you to make the changes, here's a bit of clarification:

Cyclists can ride on all roads unless specifically prohibited (eg motorways or where there are specific "no cycling" signs)

Cyclists can also cycle in cycle lanes (which form part of the main carriageway). If the lanes are bounded by dashed lines at the side of the lane, then it is OK for other vehicles to move over these lanes also, but the cyclists take priority (so, for example, don't stray over into this lane in heavy traffic and so block the route for a cyclist). However, if the cycle lane is bounded by a solid line, then other vehicles should keep out at all times.

Cycle paths, tracks etc off the main carriageway (as is actually the case on Penistone Road, contrary to the thread title) are optional for cyclists but out of bounds for motor vehicles.

See, it's not that hard.

Edited by Eater Sundae
added a bit

I agree, but I was referring back to Repo's post that started this bit of the thread. I don't believe he was being serious, but at the extreme he was factually correct.

Actually, a few weeks ago I was driving southbound on Kingfield Road, coming up behind a cyclist, and preparing to overtake. I was probably about 20 ft from him and already well over the central line as part of my overtake when he suddenly turned right, to pass between two cars that were parked on the right and onto the pavement to continue his journey. This was an abrupt 90 degree turn, from the left hand side of the lane. I'm absolutely certain he didn't look around - he MIGHT have had a mirror, but I don't think so. There was nothing to indicate that he might do it until he did. It was quite a shock. Prior to this there was no wobbling, no erratic behaviour. not a kid either, an older bloke (in a brown coat, around 9 am on a Saturday morning, probably 2 or 3 weeks ago, if he happens to be reading). It was quite a shock at the time. If he had done the same manoeuvre a second or so later, I don't see how I could have missed him. I still had this in mind when I posted earlier, as it is still fresh..

Cyclists are not a problem at all for me, but this event really unnerved me at the time.

Some cyclists aren't very careful road users, just like some drivers.

It's more likely to cause the cyclist to be injured than a motorist though... Did you use your horn? That might just wake the guy up so he starts behaving a bit more carefully in the future.

Yes, that's right. It's good to see that finally you are starting to understand how it works. But just in case it is difficult for you to make the changes, here's a bit of clarification:

Cyclists can ride on all roads unless specifically prohibited (eg motorways or where there are specific "no cycling" signs)

If its good for cyclists then its good for motorists. if cyclists want to ride outside the cycle lanes ,then they cant moan when motorists drive in the cycle lanes. cyclists cant have it both ways.

---------- Post added 11-04-2013 at 14:14 ----------

If us motorists have to put up with lunatic cyclists getting in our way then they should have to put up with us using cycle lanes.

if cyclists want to ride outside the cycle lanes ,then they cant moan when motorists drive in the cycle lanes.

Of course they can for the reasons outlined above.

cyclists cant have it both ways.

Yes they can, for the reasons outlined above.

Ha - ha! (Muntz)

If its good for cyclists then its good for motorists. if cyclists want to ride outside the cycle lanes ,then they cant moan when motorists drive in the cycle lanes. cyclists cant have it both ways.

I really hope you get caught doing this and lose your license. But you won't, you're just hot air.

If us motorists have to put up with lunatic cyclists getting in our way then they should have to put up with us using cycle lanes.

You're the only person advocating lunacy here.

Another cyclist killed this week [in London] by a lorry turning left]

The plee will be ,never saw her sir! as usual.

At Shalesmoor the other day there was massive piles of horse poo on the cycle lane from some police horses.

Rather topically this just came through today. Motorist's fined for using cycle lane (solid line) in Twickenham. "Drivers found using the cycle lane were issued a £30 fixed penalty notice"

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/local/richmondnews/10341932.Motorists_fined_on_Twickenham_bridge_cycle_lane/

As I remember there was a successful campaign to stop motorists driving and parking on the cycle route through centertainment a few years back.

Some cyclists aren't very careful road users, just like some drivers.

It's more likely to cause the cyclist to be injured than a motorist though... Did you use your horn? That might just wake the guy up so he starts behaving a bit more carefully in the future.

Yes, there are competent and incompetent in all walks of life. It just surprises me when a cyclist does something so basically risky, because he is sure to come off worse. When I'm cycling I'm always concerned what is happening behind me.

TBH, it happened so quickly and I was too surprised to even think about using the horn - it would have been a good idea. As it was he probably rode home without ever realising what he had done.

---------- Post added 11-04-2013 at 19:19 ----------

It doesn't really matter whether cyclists moan, because the police will certainly have something to say, as they give you a ticket and a fine. So go ahead if you think it is a good idea.

There are a lot of lunatic motorists out there thinking they own the whole road. Some of these motorist use a prehistoric logic like the bigger stronger party has right of way over the more vulnerable. Simple animalistic logic never mind cyclists, try going for a walk with these drivers around you.