Cyclists on Penistone Road - Please use the cycle lane!

Would be good if cyclists ensured that they had working front and rear lights before going on the road especially at this time of the year.

I have recently including this morning at 5.45am witnessed a cyclist without a working front light.

Yes you do get cars driving around with perhaps one headlight or brakelight ot but when a bike has usually just one light at the front and one at the back it is most important that both are working before setting off.

I also think that if we as tax payers have paid for a cycle lane to be installed along Penistone Road then the cyclists should do the decent thing and use it.Yes I know it is disjointed in places but as a car driver driving through say hillsborough I would love to drive straight through the traffic lights at Hillsborough Corner at all times but I cant so I have to make a disjointed detour to get me where I want to be so why cant cyclists also put up with a similar inconvienience?

Re bib. IMO, the problem with both cycle lanes and cycle paths is that they are often provided as part of a funding package for infrastructure improvements. The cycle facilities are a bit of an afterthought done purely to tick a particular box as part of the funding package. As a result, they are not given any priority. For example, cycle paths suddenly stop (my "favourite" is the one on Leavygreave Rd, travelling east and approaching Hanover Way - I've tried and failed to post a link - you can see it on Google streetview - basically, the cycle path just stops at the barrier at the side of Hanover Way)

Cycle lanes are often worse. They are rarely built to the recommended width. Some overtaking drivers stick to their lane but do not appreciate that they are too close to the cyclist in the marked lane. Basically, they see the cyclist in his own lane and assume they do not have to make any allowance for him. (A pet hate of mine).

This is it, from the Warrington Cycle campaign website - always a good link when discussing badly designed cycle paths. http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/wcc/facility-of-the-month/September2004.htm

Edited by Eater Sundae

I gave up using the one on Langsett Rd because it was always full of pedestrians. If I was to point out to them that they could be hurt by a passing bike and that there was an adjacent pavement, they would look at me with a vacant stare which suggested I was talking in Swaheli. In the end I found it easier to use the pavement and leave the clearly marked, red cycle lane to the peds.

I gave up using the one on Langsett Rd because it was always full of pedestrians. If I was to point out to them that they could be hurt by a passing bike and that there was an adjacent pavement, they would look at me with a vacant stare which suggested I was talking in Swaheli. In the end I found it easier to use the pavement and leave the clearly marked, red cycle lane to the peds.

I used to just shout "excuse me" as I headed towards them at 20mph, watch them jump out of the way, most of the time.

It does beggar belief the number of people that deliberately walk on the raised and separated cycle path and then seem surprised to find a bike heading towards them.

I used to just shout "excuse me" as I headed towards them at 20mph, watch them jump out of the way, most of the time.

It does beggar belief the number of people that deliberately walk on the raised and separated cycle path and then seem surprised to find a bike heading towards them.

The design speed for cycle paths / shared use facilities is 18mph. Faster than that, you should be on the road. Another good reason for cyclists who choose not to use the cycle path.

Edited by Squiggs

I have tried ringing my bell when people are walking in the cycle lane but they either can't hear it, ignore it or freeze on the spot, none of which are helpful.

i find its same in most areas of sheffield. i went past some the other day that was in middle of road up southy green

Guest sibon

Maybe the pedestrians find it easier to walk on the cycle track.

As the faster moving, more dangerous user of the path, you should surely be more careful when passing a more vulnerable road user:)

Maybe the pedestrians find it easier to walk on the cycle track.

As the faster moving, more dangerous user of the path, you should surely be more careful when passing a more vulnerable road user:)

In what way could it be easier, the footpath is never more than about 2 feet away, sometimes separated by a bit of grass and othertimes, side by side separated with a raised kerb.

There's little point in having an area dedicated to cyclists if they can't use it because the pedestrians won't use the area dedicated to them.

The design speed for cycle paths / shared use facilities is 18mph. Faster than that, you should be on the road. Another good reason for cyclists who choose not to use the cycle path.

It was purely an estimate, my bike has no speedo.

Hi, I'd like to check on a cyclist I collided into today on Penistone Road, I went off without checking if he needed details for damage etc. if anyone knows could they pass on this message please.

Thanks

D.

Hi, I'd like to check on a cyclist I collided into today on Penistone Road, I went off without checking if he needed details for damage etc. if anyone knows could they pass on this message please.

Thanks

D.

Were you driving or on foot? If driving, then report it to the police, before he does.

It would be safer if the incompetent drivers who cannot safely pass a cyclist catch the bus instead.

Cycles are allowed on the road.

The Highway Code acknowledges that cyclists may prefer to use the road.

Using the road is usually quicker.

Using the road avoids all the broken glass and other detritus that often finds its way onto cycle paths. (admittedly not usually the case on Penistone Road, I think).

Cycle paths often include lots of junctions and interfaces where it is necessary to cross other roads - this can be more dangerous than going with the flow on the road itself.

But back to your reasoning as to why cyclists should use the path - it appears to be because of the poor standard of driving, not cycling. So, cyclists are put in danger by bad driving, and you seem to be blaming the cyclists. Wouldn't your efforts be better spent in trying to improve driving ability - particularly your own if you are coming close to hitting them with your mirrors. Stop blaming the victim - put your own house in order first.

Edit - I forgot to add, if drivers cannot safely overtake, they should wait.

Another edit: It can sometimes be a problem, especially for the faster cyclists, to pass pedestrians on the cycle paths. Some pedestrians tend to wander between the footpath and the cycle path without realising they are two different tracks. As a result, cyclists are slowed down even further. So the faster cyclists are less inclined to use them.

Not all cyclists are sensible and all drivers rubbish. I have witnessed some apalling cyclists on the road.