Bands of the sixties in Sheffield

Jen:

Would your oh be Neill, and does he remember any of the other band members?

Jen:

Would your oh be Neill, and does he remember any of the other band members?

I played lead guitar for The Wildcats for 18 months around 1965.

Danny in fact moved to California around 1969.He ran a very successful pub/restuarant in Pasadena called The John Bull for many years.He then sold up in the late 80s and came back to the U.K.He bought a Castle in Kent right by the Medway.Very grand.

He acquired the title of Baron Twynehame he was also Lord of the Manor for a couple of places.He then acquired a Castle in Scotland.

He and his wife Delyse then had to move back to California a few years ago due to his ill health.Sadly Danny died in 2007 but I am sure that wherever he is now,he will be getting a band together with so many other musicians who are no longer with us.For myself,Iam retired ffrom work but still playing in a band in Devon.Just don't know when to quit.Wonder what happened to former Wildcats bass player Maurice Hopwood?? Danny has an entry in Burke's Peerage Under Twynehame. His real name is Daniel Sharpe.All the best.

Hi, good to hear all this. My oh is in fact Les, who was last drummer before they split up. Sad to hear about Danny. It may be that Neill was the drummer before my oh. My oh joined a band called Who's Who after the Wildcats split and Maurice joined them shortly after. They played together for quite a while until they got the opportunity to go to Germany in 1966, but Maurice didn't want to go, so he left the group. He was a nice guy. oh keeps saying he would like to find him as he thinks he's still in sheffield. What was your name... if you want to send us a private pm would be pleased to hear from you. He says have you any photos from those days?

Hi Jen,I don't think your oh was the drummer when I was with Danny.My name is John Barlow.Not sure I know how to send a private pm but i do have some old Wildcats photos that I would be happy to mail to you.Have tried various sites to find Maurice but to no avail.Perhaps someone might pick up this conversation and give us some info on his whereabouts.I am sure Thedrib who used to play rhythm guitar would also love to contact Maurice.Take care.John

sorry to hear about the death of rod allen lead singer of the fortunes another good band from the 60,s

RIP

Apart from the obvious Dave Berry and the Cruisers who were the staple band at the Esquire Club there was a band called Garry and the Chains who were popular around the city.

Frank White Band, Scott William Combo, Dene Marshall and the Deputies, Dave Berry and the Cruisers, Frankenstein's Monsters...

Anybody remeber any of them, or are you all too young!!

I'm too young to remember Frank White but went to see him at Dronfield last week on hearing of his excellent reputation. WHAT A DISSAPOINTMENT!! I don't mean to be disrespectful cos he's been there and done it but if he was satisfied that the tripe he turned out last week was entertainment he must be losing his marbles! There was no drummer, the bassist clearly wished he was elsewhere and the set list although subject to personal tastes i found a bit wishy washy. He barely touched his guitar and I wanted my £3 entry fee back cos it wasn't even worth that!

I understand he's Richard Hawley's uncle or something.

I think he's rubbish too.

Controversial I know!:loopy:

Any one remember the "Mind of Adam" in the late 60's - early 70's, later they added a female singer and changed to the "Mind of Adam & Eve". They had a single out later after another name change to "The Variation Show Group". I used to help out at gigs as Neil Turfitt the Drummer was a school mate. The male singer used to do a great version of Little Tin Soldier by the Small Faces. Neils speciality was the drum solo of Santanas "Soul Sacrifice". Any one know if Neill is still around? I have fond memories of gigs at clubs around sheffield specially carrying all the amps cabinets and gear up the fire escape at the back of Midhill club!!!

I'm wondering if Neal is still about, I played with his band Paintbox in the early 70's and he later had a spell with our band Merlin sometime around 1974/5, still have a photo. Last I heard he was with King Bizkit a blues band who did a live video in Lisbon, that was acouple of years ago.

I came across this site by accident, but I played in a band in Sheffield in the sixties and have lost touch with all the other former members. We were called the 'Corvettes' and were originally a 4 piece band with Don on lead guitar, myself on rhythm guitar, Phil on bass and Frank on drums. Later we were joined by 2 girl singers, Kit and Chris. We played gigs at the Cutlers Hall, City Hall ballroom, pubs and clubs in the Sheffield area. Wednesday nights at the Station Hotel in Rotherham for £8, what a gig!

I'd love to here from any of the former band members, or anyone who remembers us.

hi mike, chris here and i used to sing with the band along with kit.i went on to sing with the countdowns after our group split and enjoyed performing on the clubs of sheffield. hope you are keeping well.

:suspect:

Anybody remember the Kenny Pete Quartet??? Great band around Sheffield in the early sixties, played at all the usual places - Blue Bell Hackenthorpe, Sicey Hotel etc etc. Also any one remember the band, whose name escapes me right now, led by Tony Oliver(I think!) ex Heeley Banker, he lost an arm in a motorbike accident, but again played all the usual haunts. We would meet up with him mainly at the old Arbourthorne Hotel - which I found out on a recent visit had closed down earlier this year.

hi, kenny pete five was my grandads band. if you want any further information just let me know. thanks.

Great! Loved reading about all those 60's bands. I was just a kid in the sixties. I remember walking past The Mojo Club in awe! I do remember a lot of the names of the Sheffield '60's bands though. Later I was in a band myself called 'Googleye' and did a gig at the 'Dog & Partridge' on Attercliffe Common on Xmas Eve 1971 with my cohorts Darren Horneshaw, Harold Simnett and drummer Dave. It ended up in an almighty pub brawl but we just carried on playing until the DJ dragged us off. Glass everywhere, in the amps, in our hair.. I was on bass. I was on bass again in a Sheffield club band called 'The Whiteman Brothers' in 1978 with Nigel and John White. Our biggest gig was at a charity do at the Fiesta Club when Grace Kennedy was the headlining act. Great fun! It was all over so fast though, my band days... sigh... if only we could turn the clock back! :-)

I was in Paintbox from its inseption from The Variations to Paintbox until iys demise

never played with a Dave Trent? who r u