Bands of the sixties in Sheffield

I went to Sydney last night to see Eric Clapton, it was nice to see Chris Stainton's still going strong, which bands did he play for when he first started, as I've no recollection of him before he joined Joe Cocker.

I think I remember him with Johnny Tempest and the Caddilacs.

I have just found a an old Magazine called "The Top Stars Special" it's been in my attic for years its dated December 28 1963..in it is a Photo of the Ex Cadillacs now reformed as "THE ORIGINALS" with new lead Vocalist

"Glyn Barry" The line up is Mick Beaumont 22 "Drums" (Jeweller)...Barry Bromptom 22 "Lead guitar" (Electrician)...Tom Rattigan 21 "Rythmn Guitar" (Motor Mechanic)...and John Wilson 23 "Bass guitar" the Originator of the Cadillacs..And new Vocalist Glyn Barrie 20 (Jeweller)....This is the Band I remember seeing at the Blue Bell at Hackenthorpe with Johnny Tempest....Other Local bands featured are "Tony Thought and the Mindreaders", "Dave Lee and the Staggerlees", "Ron Lindsay and the Coasters", Shane Fenton and the Fentones", "Frankenstien and the Monsters", Dave Berry and the Cruisers", "The Vantennas", "The Kodiacs" (Rotherham)..and "Bob Andrews and the Four Blades"

i still keep in touch with jimmy powell from birmingham and he still does a great show still plays the mike stand still has the trademark towell and to this day still says he played harmonica on my boy lolipop, and harmonica on pj probys hold me i have a old video of jp can anyone recommend to go get it on dvd reasonable price thanks from grumpy old man

timbuck chris once had his own band called tundra and he played at jordanthorpe school sheffield i think his dad was a teacher there' from grumpy maggidees other half

john o hara fans on ebay is j o hara and the playboys single show me and i started a joke' ive got a j o hara lp called no turning back for sale if you know anyone who might like it

the lead singer for mickys monkys # green carnation was mick dale what a perfomer with a voice crossed between rod stewart cocker carrack but hada distinctive blues feel . it was a very sad time when he left us so young he was one hell of a guy who would do anything for anyone and a good business man i once heard a cassette of his version of help from my friends the scream bit was spot on god bless you mick

In the Late Sixties and early Seventies....I was traveling around the country in a Sheffield Trio..and one of the bands we used to stay with in "Artiste digs" was "Mud" who became famous later on, we used to have some great fun with them in those days ..The lead singer "Les Grey" sadly died a couple of years ago aged 57..Now I've been informed the Drummer "Dave Mount" has also died on the 3rd of Dec aged 59.

Rob Davies of Mud writes songs for many artists nowadays.

Pete Gill ,drummer with The Glitter Band,Saxon,as well as Motorhead still lives in Sheffield.I think a few of the Glitter band came from Sheffield Harvey Ellisin(sax).

Ken Crawley left for the states many years ago still drumming away.

Chris

I was heavily involved with numerous bands who played at the Black Swan... affectionately known as the Mucky Duck in the early sixties...I first appeared there when I was 14, playing lead guitar for Pete Fender and the Strollers.

Other bands I played with include "Johnnie Silver and the Thunderbirds", "The Chevrons" and last but by no means least a band called "The Sheffields". We were originally managed by Pete Stringfellow I have many fond memories of my time with the band and although we played mainly in London and the south coast, Sheffield was our natural home base.

Sadly the band split up and I then moved on to tour with "Dave Berry and the Cruisers" before temporarily retiring from the Rock and Roll scene to live in Jersey for a few years.

I'm back in the area now and still enjoy playing the Gibson I bought way back in 1962. She's well worn ... a bit like myself, but we can still "sing" a bit together.

BTW I have for some time been trying to trace Dave Green who played bass for "The Chevrons"... does anyone have any contact details?

Roy Ledger

I am currently visiting my brother in Canada, who was a roadie for The Sheffields when he was a teenager. He tells me of a night they played at the Mojo, then drove down to Banbury Cross to play another gig there, and then on to London for a meeting re a possible record deal.

My brother (Dave Jarvis) is 64 now and has been in Canada for 40 years. His memory is a little rusty so he can't remember the band members names! Does his name mean anything to you? He DOES remember witnessing a sexual indiscretion involving Pete Stringfellow on the night of the gig (no real surprise there though!)

I am currently visiting my brother in Canada, who was a roadie for The Sheffields when he was a teenager. He tells me of a night they played at the Mojo, then drove down to Banbury Cross to play another gig there, and then on to London for a meeting re a possible record deal.

My brother (Dave Jarvis) is 64 now and has been in Canada for 40 years. His memory is a little rusty so he can't remember the band members names! Does his name mean anything to you? He DOES remember witnessing a sexual indiscretion involving Pete Stringfellow on the night of the gig (no real surprise there though!)

Maybe no surprise but a possible money making opportunity.

Rather a belated reply Zeke but am trawling through this thread and Who's Who jumped out at me! Remember your trip to Germany 1966 .. my oh was your drummer then! Email us we'd love to hear from you

There was a singer in the mid sixties who used to do the WMC's circuit. I can only remember her first name - Barbara. I think she lived at Regent Court, Hillsborough. She was brilliant. When I first saw her, I thought she was Susan Maughan (Bobby's Girl). Can anyone remember her surname please?