Fishing in the River Don - City Centre

I hope no-one's been fishing the Don for the last 3 months, the new season doesn't start until tomorrow.

...and no-one's going to be fishing it tomorrow either...:mad: I was going to go on Sunday on the Don, somewhere, but i had a peek tonight and it was lapping at the footpath, must have been at least 5 feet up. :o

thanks bob I will take a look, can you get a day ticket?

Steve

pass, i used to have the book for a place called Tin Mill Dam, they had a stretch of the river Don but i have no contact details now, sorry.

Whenever I use the Five Weirs Walk from the city out to Attercliffe, there's usually someone in waders fishing in the Don.

Be needing a bit more than a pair of waders today :hihi:

I've had loads of fish from the Don at various spots from town onwards. Whoever is fishing there will be pulling out Trout, Roach, Rudd, Bream, Barbel, Gudgeon, Chub, and even Grayling!

The Grayling being there proves how clean the river Don is these days. There was even a Salmon pulled out a couple of years back near Doncaster :o

Maybe one day we'll have them back at Salmon Pastures, where they belong :wink:

I took the kids fishing here recently and it was fantastic. The kids were pulling out gudgeon, dace and devon minnows and I had the biggest chubb I've ever caught. The minnows are devon minnows which only live in the cleanest of waters, so what a change in 20 years.

I took some photos of the kids and showed them to the grandparents who coulnd't believe this was Attercliffe, they all thought we were stood on the banks of some expensive fly-fishing river in Derbyshire.

Before the floods you cou see the river was packed with fish. The floods have murkied the river somewhat, but it is still very clean, and still packed with fish. Forget the "Full Monty" image of the river, walk along the Five Wiers Walk and you will see kingfishers diving for the devon minnows.

Everyone resident in Sheffield should walk along the river from Meadowhall to town, take lunch in the canal basin, and then walk back along the canal.

my sons and myself regularly catch trout and grayling in the don,though its in a mess at the moment due to rubble and sunken trees brought down by the floods,while were fishing we often see the kingfishers and herons, plus other wildlife,its really wonderful now its cleaner

Obase, Depoix - any tips on what sort of rig to use in the Don? I'd love to give it a go, but I'm pretty inexperienced. Is it worth trying a stick float?

Obase, Depoix - any tips on what sort of rig to use in the Don? I'd love to give it a go, but I'm pretty inexperienced. Is it worth trying a stick float?

stick float's ideal if theres some pace on it, and also a small feeder with groundbait, casters and or maggots is worth a try too.

i presume it no longer contains uranium or at least very small amounts

the don in doncaster is fishing well ive now caught 4 barbel 3lb , 6lb and a 9 1/2 lb

and last week caught a 11 1/4 lb pike so it is picking up well worth a days fishing