Fishing in the River Don - City Centre

Last Sunday there was a bloke fishing under the bridge at the end of Corporation Street.

I didn't see him catch anything but he was really keen.

Happy Fishing

I was brought up in hillsborough at Dudley road, and in the 1970s and early 80s, when I used to play down there, the river would change colour with the latest colour of poo roll they were making at Oughtibridge mill. Even then the river was teeming with all kinds of fish but they weren't healthy fish. We used to pull out loads of sicklebacks with a little kids net, and an older kid, down the road used to fish with a rod and pull all kinds of fish out, but they often had sores on them.

but that was 25+ years ago when the river was much less clean than it is now.

The Don at Hillsborough is supposed to be good for catching Barbel now. One of the best fighting fish IMO :smile:

i've fished the Don, under Lady's Bridge where the river comes out from under the markets(the old castle) and meets the main river. I caught roach, perch, gudgeon and minnows. There are lots of fish in the river and it all looks good for the future! And on the canal, well i fish near Meadowhall a lot and have seen and caught just about everything, from roach, bream perch etc to barbel, witnessed 2 myself, my dad had 1, zander,trout, ghost carp, ornamental Koi carp....

And to cap it all, a few years ago i heard reports of jellyfish in the canal!:o

I dismissed it as fisherman's stories but last summer i saw one go throbbing along the canal just a few feet from the edge! Tiny little thing and apparently a fresh water variety does exist, but only in good fresh, relatively warm water.

yep the river don is back on its feet again ive cought some big barbel at claywheels lane end tight line all you annglers :clap:

barbel? where's claywheel's lane end?

I want to catch a Don Barbel...

I could fish from my balcony at the riverside exchange! Well not really, rod would need to be about 40 foot long. But people were always fishing there.

Any one been fly fishing on the upper Don or have info interested in trout and grayling

Steve

There's trout and grayling around Stocksbridge and Oughtibridge, never tried the fly though.

Are they supposed to throw them back though? My Dad always did when he used to fish.

Been reports in papers about people catching what we see as 'game' fish for the table.

thanks bob I will take a look, can you get a day ticket?

Steve

I hope no-one's been fishing the Don for the last 3 months, the new season doesn't start until tomorrow.