Internet ban on illegal downloading

I prefer to take from the rich and give to the poor :D

And i like mine months before the dvd release date :hihi:

I prefer to take from the rich and give to the poor :D

And i like mine months before the dvd release date :hihi:

I Like YOU :love: BUT HIM:loopy:

how do you know i havent already bought the cd/dvd....which give me the right to copy them.

Because you have no such right under UK law?

Because you have no such right under UK law?

ok..badly phrased !!! Gwaaaaaaaaad (another one) however then, there is no LAW saying i CANT back it up for personal USE........lol...correct me if im wrong..and if i accidently leave it at your home......your the one breakin the LAW................if you choose to listen /watch it....not me

Bit strong that aint it? sure thats def of character !!!!!! Damn right rude as well.....bet your a lovely lovely chap.......how do you know i havent already bought the cd/dvd....which give me the right to copy them. HUH:loopy:

OK you were trolling, and I bit - i got caught by fairly crude ruse, more fool me.

OK you were trolling, and I bit - i got caught by fairly crude ruse, more fool me.

pmsl............not so bad after all..............Now for next victim:suspect:

pmsl............not so bad after all..............Now for next victim:suspect:

clean yourself up then

If they brought the console games out here at the same time as america the games

downloads would reduce...

Many download them region free weeks before our shops get them...

Its the same with the american tv series stuff,they get downloaded because people

dont want to wait for our tv to show them..

That was the plan, but if you follow the news, ISPs and Consumer Groups - even the EU - have come down hard on this. Mandelson himself has been forced to respond with:

'I made clear to the content industry that we would consider legislation that includes temporary account suspension only if it was seen as the sanction of last resort. It would only follow a well-established series of warnings and clear evidence that they were taking action to defend their own rights. This will not turn your ISP into Big Brother. The process is driven by rights holders reporting activity on public file-sharing websites rather than service providers monitoring individuals’ internet traffic.'

(my bold)

see: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/guest_contributors/article6814187.ece

So it's exactly the same as it has always been, only this time you can have your connection suspended as punishment - the third strike of a 'three strikes and out' policy which is being ushered in.

a pleasant surprise for once, I stand corrected, thank you

there is no LAW saying i CANT back it up for personal USE

There is in the UK, though it is going to change to allow personal back-ups/MP3 conversions etc, but ATM, it is illegal to make any copies of a CD under (current) UK copyright laws.

Sorry I haven’t read all the posts, what I would like to know is what’s the difference to copying the charts on a Sunday night (do they still have them) when I was a kid everyone copied the charts off the radio on a Sunday night.

Copying the charts (e.g. 'taping') = personal use only

P2P = partially personal use (the downloading bit = copying the charts) and partially infringing use (the uploading bit = broadcasting the charts yourself to others, like a radio)

Note that it can get much more complicated (of course!), e.g. if you download an infringing copy in the first place (the uploader is not a radio paying its dues to the PRS or some other copyright licensing/fee-collecting organisation, it's a private person who hasn't got the right to broadcast (online) the copy). Essentially, and figuratively, that amounts to getting a "car boot copy" free of charge.

Then after that there's the whole issue of the copyright-compliance/legalities surrounding Internet radios (in case you were thinking about copying content off them), which is currently far from being settled.

Etc, etc.

there is no LAW saying i CANT back it up for personal USE
There is in the UK, though it is going to change to allow personal back-ups/MP3 conversions etc, but ATM, it is illegal to make any copies of a CD under (current) UK copyright laws.
There isn't quite in the UK, and long-established case law permits it (the "1709 Statute of Anne" issue has not yet been tested in Court, and is therefore still only a matter of opinion, but IMHO its relevance would fall at the first hurdle in the face of the CDPA 1988 ), so long as it is curtailed to personal use of course.

But there is definitely a statutory bar in the US (through the DMCA, which has no legal equivalent in the UK), and this may at times confuse matters still further ;)

Edited by L00b