118 118

Andy

What a useless service...

I asked for a number for Kwik Fit in Rotherham.

"Lewisham?" she asked hopefully.

"No, Rotherham" I said.

"Rotterdam?" She said, sounding a bit suprised.

"Rotherham. R-O-T-H-E-R-H-A-M".

"Aaah...Roderham"

"Yes. I want the number for Kwik Fit. That's "K-W-I-K space F-I-T"

"I have the number for Kwik Save"

I hung up at that point.

i've had junk-calls from mobile phone customer service centres in delhi and the operators speak like robots! i once was actually vaguely interested in an offer they had, but the staff were unable to answer my queries because they had only been taught the sales patter and some basic english.

118 118, aka, the number, is the most expensive of the 118 services and is also very poor in terms of accuracy. Try 118 800 or 11 88 88 as these are the cheapest ones and offer similar levels of accuracy (still poor). I'm not sure which 118 has the highest percentage for accuracy.

It's funny how the old service was once free, but OFTEL decided to open it up to competition to provide a better service. Now it is extremely expensive and grossly inaccurate.

This is the same OFTEL which decided to change all the UK dialling codes and then had to to change Londons codes again a couple of years later becuase there were still insufficient numbers. Just when people got used to 0171 and 0181 they had completely new numbers!

• 1 year later...

"Have you got the number for Q.E Hosp, Woolwich, please?"

"Where is that"?

"It's Woolwich, London Borough of Greenwich, SE18"

"Oooo.... "

"Ah yes, here it is: 020 7" (they started reeling the number off (020 7) that is for Central London (which rather interestingly starts at Lambeth Borough, which I would have thought is too far out.

I put the phone down as they started reeling out 020 7..., tried 118500 (BTs 192) and got "Ah yes, QE Hosp, Stadium Road. Woolwich, London" 020 8836 6000.

Bloody 118118 - "we've got your number" like bloody hell you have!

Alex

Archived