Swine flu in Sheffield - latest developments?

Swine Flu is having a devatsating effect on Council Workers.

Some of my friends who work for council have noticed that many of their ranks are off ill with suspected swine flu. In fact Swine Flu hits with a venganence on Monday Morning.

It appears this illness has mutated, and strikes on a Monday

On the other hand the desease seems not to be effecting the self employed

Or maybe there are an extra 2 days in which the start of the illness can make itself apparent before Monday so that a week's illness is more likely to be first reported to managers on a Monday than on any other day because the manager will hear about those who fell ill on Saturday, Sunday AND Monday on a Monday morning.

However I can not be so sure about the Ah1n1 pandemic. The A in Ah1n1 means its avian. B means its human.

I really do hate to stick my ore in once again but this cannot go unanswered. This is wrong. Influenza A is just the name for the most virulent form of flu. That doesnt always mean severe, it just means it can be passed on easily.

Swine Flu is an 'A' variant, which has both swine and avian components. Both this virus (H1N1) and bird flu (H5N1) are part of the same subtype (A) of influenza.

My bold

Really? And can they survive without water for the same length of time? Or do you think the people who run the water (and sewage) systems are somehow immune from swine flu and will carry on working?

Be realistic.

Any business (especially an essential service) will have plans in place to cope with these situations.

For example:

Prioritising work so essential tasks are carried out at the expense of non-essential tasks, to keep the system running.

Asking the staff who are healthy to work longer hours

Diverting staff/admin staff/managers to support front line services

Using training staff/trainees to support front line services

Calling in support from other areas of the country

Asking part time staff or staff on leave to come in to work

Asking staff who have recently left/retired to come back to work

Using external contractors

Asking for support from other agencies eg local councils

Worse case, ask the government to send in the army to assist.

As swine flu only lasts for about a week, I am sure the water company will be able to cope. Yes, leaks might not get mended as quickly, but I doubt there will be any major problems.

I really do hate to stick my ore in once again but this cannot go unanswered. This is wrong. Influenza A is just the name for the most virulent form of flu. That doesnt always mean severe, it just means it can be passed on easily.

Swine Flu is an 'A' variant, which has both swine and avian components. Both this virus (H1N1) and bird flu (H5N1) are part of the same subtype (A) of influenza.

If it was subtype B it would be a human variant.

Be realistic.

Any business (especially an essential service) will have plans in place to cope with these situations.

For example:

Prioritising work so essential tasks are carried out at the expense of non-essential tasks, to keep the system running.

Asking the staff who are healthy to work longer hours

Diverting staff/admin staff/managers to support front line services

Using training staff/trainees to support front line services

Calling in support from other areas of the country

Asking part time staff or staff on leave to come in to work

Asking staff who have recently left/retired to come back to work

Using external contractors

Asking for support from other agencies eg local councils

Worse case, ask the government to send in the army to assist.

As swine flu only lasts for about a week, I am sure the water company will be able to cope. Yes, leaks might not get mended as quickly, but I doubt there will be any major problems.

All the above could and should be avoided . Good post andy!