Swine flu in Sheffield - latest developments?

Just heard a GP being interviewed on Radio 2. He's one of the few still actively testing for the Swine flu strain.

He said that 90% of people who thought they'd got Swine flu, and were tested for it, had, you guessed it, not got it.

Extrapolate that across the helplines, website, whatever, and I think that paints a picture.

The victims of Swine flu, in terms of sheer numbers, are greatly overstated. The rest almost certainly have got a flu like illness. But, it's just common-or-garden flu.

Paracetamol, fluids, common sense.

Edited by perplexed

Was working at a school for a week in Scarborough & a few days later a teacher was off sick because she might have "contracted" it. We all got an offical letters about it but it didn't say she actually had it and it set off all the kids & teachers panicking.

Any what's their advice on the website and hotline? Stay home and not eat for 3 months? Set up a security perimeter around your house to stop the un-clean getting to you? Hook tamiflu to you veins? (or paracetemol in some cases apparantly...).

No....

It doesn't tell you to do anything more than you would for normal flu....

They've spent all this money because it's been blown out of all proportion by the press and people like you.

I'm really not scared of getting it. I hope I do. Then I can stay home and post on here all day telling you how much of a hypochondriac you are!

Agree 100%

I started with a high fever and 'flu' yesterday, went to work and out of interest phoned the 'pandemic line'....(let's scare everyone even more by calling it something scary!!) and was asked a load of questions by a trained monkey and because i answered yes to high temp and cold like symptoms was told i had swine flu and given a code to go get tammy flu!!!

I'm a nurse and am sick of the scaremongering surrounding this....i have flu, yes i feel **** but flu's flu. I'm not going for any Tammy virus and will fight it off just like i've done with cold's over the years...

I think its really unfair what the media has done and its been blown totally out of proportion....:huh::loopy::loopy:

I started with a high fever and 'flu' yesterday, went to work and out of interest phoned the 'pandemic line'....(let's scare everyone even more by calling it something scary!!) and was asked a load of questions by a trained monkey and because i answered yes to high temp and cold like symptoms was told i had swine flu and given a code to go get tammy flu!!

Not being funny, but why did you go into work if you had flu like symptoms, virus, etc? especially being a nurse.

Not being funny, but why did you go into work if you had flu like symptoms, virus, etc? especially being a nurse.

i don't currently work as one :rolleyes:

Having a cold/flu shouldn't have to disable you....if your well enough to work....

I think were becoming too scared of infection and have become too sterile, next we'll all be bathing in savlon.

It wouldn't urt for a few more people to have it to lower the resistance otherwise we'll have big problems on our hands at the end of the year!

I have started with flu- like symptoms this afternoon. I will not be phoning the helpline or messing about with tamiflu (which does no more than reduce the illness duration by one day)

It may just be a cold, time will tell.

Seen as I was nearly kicked of s.f for scaremongering I can not tell this thread what I actually feel about this swine flu. However it is of my oppinion that the pandemic flu hotline is 3 months too late. This thread started with the debate that schools should inform parents of case's of swine flu, unfortunately schools and business failed the public in this respect. Now we are seeing the rapid spread of the the fastest pandemic in history and it is no coincidence britain has the second highest infections in the world. People claim we can't closedown society as we will all starve when in actual fact humans can easily survive 3 months without food. We can only count ourselves lucky it is not h5n1 even though it is claimed that swine flu has a h5n1 gene.

Everyone has a duty to research Swineflu thoroughly as it is of my oppinion that the advice that has and is been given is woefully optimistic and inadequate.......

My bold

Really? And can they survive without water for the same length of time? Or do you think the people who run the water (and sewage) systems are somehow immune from swine flu and will carry on working?

That's why they have set up a pandemic flu hotline, paying 2 thousand people to man the phones. They do this every flu season don't they. oh has anyone heard from mr Bilbo baggins ?

No, they've set up the flu hotline partly to try and cut down on the number of panicking morons like you from contacting their GP every time they sneeze.