Would you keep your cat indoors during the bird nesting season.

Would you keep your cat indoors during the bird nesting season.  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Would you keep your cat indoors during the bird nesting season.

• yes.
    • no.

No, many times actually. Just a different cat each time.

All that proves is that you are capable of premeditated acts of gratuitous cruelty and violence... I don't think it really helps any cause but to satisfy your own psychopathic and sociapathic tendencies... in my humble opinion.

Why not try adressing the real green issues involved rather than maiming somebodies beloved pet?

All that proves is that you are capable of premeditated acts of gratuitous cruelty and violence... I don't think it really helps any cause but to satisfy your own psychopathic and sociapathic tendencies... in my humble opinion.

Why not try adressing the real green issues involved rather than maiming somebodies beloved pet?

Not really, just saving the chicks from a mauling. The cats live to tell the tale....mostly.

Not really, just saving the chicks from a mauling. The cats live to tell the tale....mostly.

And what about other nest raiders, Starlings, Crows, Rats, Squirrels, Jays...for example... Do you spend all day in your rocking chair waiting for them too?

Or do you just hate cats?

Every year this argument comes up and every year people try to ignore the fact that it's not cats that are responsible for the decline in the bird poulation in suburbia... it's us.

People have kept cats for centuries, cats have roamed stray for centuries, why now would they have had an impact if never before?

It's us with our designer outdoor living garden spaces.

Stop paving, stop decking, go back to hedges and bushes and fruit bearing plants as opposed to fencing and the bird population will grow again! Where do you suppose birds will nest if the can't get into sealed up eaves anymore or the unsightly hawthorne hedge has been ripped out?

The reason birds are on the decline in suburbia is because we've cut off their food sources and removed nesting grounds... blame that one on tiddles!

I think cats are evil and bad for birds, but I do also agree with this. My garden is a completely wild jungle, as far as I can tell no one has gardened in it since the 1970's or possibly before. It doesn't even have a lawn anymore, just loads and loads of bamboo. It was like that when I moved in and its so pretty I just left it. There are a lot of wild bluebells too.

I even have THREE sets of jays nesting in my garden, I've seen at least three couples building nests at once. Even a wild chicken lives in my garden (or used to before a cat got it).

Where I live birds kill birds, fish rabitts, lambs and rodents. Fo example the Owls,Goshawk, Sparrowhalk,Common Buzzardand the Kestral to name but a few, so dont tell me it is only the cat that attacks birds.

I have a wild cat cross who has been attacked by birds and her mindset is aything that fly's is a danger and it is the survival of the fittist, that to me is Nature.

As regards your comment that if a cat killed a robin your "natural" instinct would be to kill the cat. Animals have a natural instint to survive, we as the intelegent race are suposed to be superior let nature go on as it is you will never change the way animals use their instinct.

You kill a cat because you feel it has done wrong, then you put yourself down to the level of an animal not the educated human

I would never kill a cat because it killed a robin, i would try and save it if possible maybe throw summat at the cat, but then I love birds..cats I like as well apart from some of them, but I get DELETED off when owners are to lazy to do something simpe like put a bell on their ''pet'' (half of them only have a cat because they dont have to do much bar feed it.. the other day I probs went over the top cause we had a few dead birds on our garden from one cat who also bullies all the other mogies round here.:mad:

Edited by Classic Rock
MASKED SWEARING

I think cats are evil and bad for birds, but I do also agree with this. My garden is a completely wild jungle, as far as I can tell no one has gardened in it since the 1970's or possibly before. It doesn't even have a lawn anymore, just loads and loads of bamboo. It was like that when I moved in and its so pretty I just left it. There are a lot of wild bluebells too.

I even have THREE sets of jays nesting in my garden, I've seen at least three couples building nests at once. Even a wild chicken lives in my garden (or used to before a cat got it).

Is that a cat or rabbit in your picture... I was assuming it was a cat...

Ahhh right, so thats why when you walk through just about any park in Sheffield, you have to dog **** dodge?? Very responsible.

Yeh, a cat really causes that much mayhem, I mean seriousley there destroying the world single handed :loopy:

Why because the poll didn't go the way you wanted and insight a kitty vigilante group?

Well clearly we all buy our cats for bloodsport :loopy:

After these comments you might have missed my point? Are you going to comment on the main point I was trying to make - and seems to be a mute point with loads of other folks above. Simple really - do you think it's ok to allow cats to enter other folks' property and cause damage, fouling, stink where they mark their territory, carnage to wildlife and annoyance to many? Why should cats be treated any differently to other pests in a lot of people's eyes? For folks to talk about other predators (magpies, crows, jays etc) - now that's natural 'cos they kill to eat. Not sure whether cats do that or are the 'gifts' some posters refer to above half eaten? Seems a lot of moggies just kill for killings sake or just torment and frighten their prey half to death as an amusement. Don't get me wrong - I'm a great pet lover but I get fed up with other folks' cats on my property causing me problems. I wouldn't want others' dogs either but don't have a problem with that.

I have a nesting box on the outer wall of my shed and there is a pair of blue tits nesting in it at the moment. My cat loves to sit out on my decking and stare at the birds as they come and go but he can't get near to it and couldn't get inside it even if he could. It's quite amusing watching him sit there transfixed on the comings and goings. So no, I would not dream of keeping him couped up inside during nesting season.

So what happens when the bluetit fledglings leave the nest for the first time? They flutter around on unsteady wings until they get a perch where the parent bird can continue to feed them. (They leave the nest early due to overcrowding) Sometimes they fall to the ground and it can take them a while to get to a safe perch.

They need an additional 3 or 4 days perching to excercise their wings and gain the strength to fly. Bluetits only have one brood - their strategy is have a big family once a year. So once the birds are ready to leave the nest - keep kitty in for a few days....

As Alexandr Orlove the TV Meerkat would say "Simples"