Would you keep your cat indoors during the bird nesting season.

Would you keep your cat indoors during the bird nesting season.  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Would you keep your cat indoors during the bird nesting season.

• yes.
    • no.

Can't you see this is evolution in it's raw state. I wish they'd used a different phrase than 'survival of the fittest'.

What it should be is 'survival of those that can best cope with the environment that they're in.'

The environment we're in is one where there are, amongst other things, a lot of cats, and their instinct is to catch things.

In geological time it doesn't really matter anyway. All species are going to die out sooner or later. Cats killing birds is such a miniscule thing in the grand scheme of things.

Let your cats out. If the birds can survive they will. If not then it's just another step in evolution.

Edited by Gormenghast
Tsk Tsk, missed the n off then.

I went around to my parents tonight. There was a bird in the back garden me and my Dad were watching. He said, we've stopped putting food out for the birds because the local cats have killed three female blackbirds within the last week.

I said I might let the dog eat one the cats instead of pulling it off next time, go spike...

Would these people put up with a neighbour's dogs forever tramping into their garden and doing their business? Would think they'd be the first to moan! I've got 3 cats around me and it never fails to amaze me how selfish / thoughtless the owners are.

Ok to point number one, if people let their dogs loose its a well known fact they would do one, they can be dangerous and aggressive, and dont have the sense of a feline, hence why most people dont let them roam.

So everyone who owns a cat and lets it out is thoughtless and selfish?? I dont think so, its far more cruel to keep an animal locked up in the house that wants to be outside. How would you propose we keep our pets from going in other people's garden then?

Ok to point number one, if people let their dogs loose its a well known fact they would do one, they can be dangerous and aggressive, and dont have the sense of a feline, hence why most people dont let them roam.

So everyone who owns a cat and lets it out is thoughtless and selfish?? I dont think so, its far more cruel to keep an animal locked up in the house that wants to be outside. How would you propose we keep our pets from going in other people's garden then?

Think you may find that most dog-owners don't let their pet roam because they are responsible and thoughtful to others around 'em. Talking about dangerous and aggresive - ain't that just what a lot of moggies are to wildlife?

I understnad that you can't stop cats going on to others' properties and causing a nuisance, damage and slaughter - perhaps folks would be better not having one - that is an option believe it or not! (you may even help the neighbours who are probably too polite to mention it - have you ever thought what others around cat owners think)? - There seems to be a misguided way of thinking that if you own a cat then you have every right to allow it to cause mayhem wherever it cares to wander. Looking at the voting above it seems clear to me just how selfish / thoughtless some moggie owners are.

ps I can't abide foxhunting either (with a passion) but if I had a choice of that or the problems some moggies cause without any remorse from the owners - I think I would prefer the former be reintroduced!

Yeah, let your dogs off the leash, let 'em worry some sheep, eat small children, be bitten on the nose by a crab or two, scare scaredy cats. Why, because it'd be wrong to leash an animal, how can we be expected to stop an animal from doing what it wants.

Yeah, i'm being facetious! But don't get me wrong I do like cats, but don't understand why they seem to be an exception to the rules...

Think you may find that most dog-owners don't let their pet roam because they are responsible and thoughtful to others around 'em.

Ahhh right, so thats why when you walk through just about any park in Sheffield, you have to dog **** dodge?? Very responsible.

There seems to be a misguided way of thinking that if you own a cat then you have every right to allow it to cause mayhem wherever it cares to wander.

Yeh, a cat really causes that much mayhem, I mean seriousley there destroying the world single handed :loopy:

Looking at the voting above it seems clear to me just how selfish / thoughtless some moggie owners are.

Why because the poll didn't go the way you wanted and insight a kitty vigilante group?

ps I can't abide foxhunting either

Well clearly we all buy our cats for bloodsport :loopy:

Edited by Bonjon

Ahhh right, so thats why when you walk through just about any park in Sheffield, you have to dog **** dodge?? Very responsible.

Yeh, a cat really causes that much mayhem, I mean seriousley there destroying the world single handed :loopy:

Why because the poll didn't go the way you wanted and insight a kitty vigilante group?

Well clearly we all buy our cats for bloodsport :loopy:

Yep, another cat owner taking things to the extreme... :loopy:

Every year this argument comes up and every year people try to ignore the fact that it's not cats that are responsible for the decline in the bird poulation in suburbia... it's us.

People have kept cats for centuries, cats have roamed stray for centuries, why now would they have had an impact if never before?

It's us with our designer outdoor living garden spaces.

Stop paving, stop decking, go back to hedges and bushes and fruit bearing plants as opposed to fencing and the bird population will grow again! Where do you suppose birds will nest if the can't get into sealed up eaves anymore or the unsightly hawthorne hedge has been ripped out?

The reason birds are on the decline in suburbia is because we've cut off their food sources and removed nesting grounds... blame that one on tiddles!