Would you keep your cat indoors during the bird nesting season.

Would you keep your cat indoors during the bird nesting season.  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Would you keep your cat indoors during the bird nesting season.

• yes.
    • no.

But the native wildcat would have had a distribution something like feral cats today, ie not very many about. Surely it's easy enough for cat owners to put a bell on the collar of their pampered moggies to protect native birds?

But the native wildcat would have had a distribution something like feral cats today, ie not very many about. Surely it's easy enough for cat owners to put a bell on the collar of their pampered moggies to protect native birds?

I rather think that the feral cat population could easily be as big as the captive population- there are an awful lot about catching an awful lot of rodents. ..

It's arguable whether or not the domestic cat, let alone the sheer number of them, is entirely 'what nature intended'. In the past month I've had to clean up the half-eaten carcasses of 3 pigeons from the garden (and I don't even have a cat). However, isn't it the case that grey squirrels are just as much a danger to nesting birds as they raid the nests for eggs?

The numbers of pigeons aren't what nature intended either, they are there because of people, like a rat with wings, spreading disease from above :) And yes I believe you are correct about the squirrels.

More birds are killed on our roads every year than by cats. I hope the chap petitioning a while ago on the BBC (see OP), will agree to stop using his car....

What it all boils down to is nature. I try to discourage my cats from killing birds/mice but sometimes it's impossible.

On a number of occassions I have nursed mice/birds back to health or taken them to vets.

It is a pain I agree, but unless we start to walk cats around on leads there's not alot we can do. :(

More birds are killed on our roads every year than by cats. I hope the chap petitioning a while ago on the BBC (see OP), will agree to stop using his car....

I imagine people hard landscaping their gardens has a more detrimental effect on wildlife than cats do. Edited by the_rudeboy

sorry but no i wouldn't keep my cat in even thought we did have a worrying thing happen once b4 when she got into a nest, she picked up 4 baby birds 1 by 1 with out injury and brought them to the front door for me, so we had to take them to a bird sanctuary

feel for the birds but its just not that easy to keep a cat in and i wont use cat trays

Definitely not and I would not put a collar on my cats with bells on either.

This is not to say I don't like it when they go 'birdie' hunting. It does upset me when I see them stalking a nest.

A couple of months ago our youngest cat brought in a dead 'budgie'. The poor thing was still warm so had only recently died. I do not know how my cat got to have a dead budgie in his jaws (you don't normally see budgies flying around in the street so I assume my cat had wandered into someone's house) but I can tell you I was expecting some angry parent knocking on my door with a distraught child. I waited all day for that knock but it never came....

My cat brought it in as a present for me .. Yes I was upset and concerned as to who the bird had belonged to but there wasn't anything I could do.