Are we living in a classless society? Does class still matter?

I don't think social class [as it existed in my youth during the 40s and 50s] does matter these days. Economic success seems far more important; the house and location you can afford and the quality of the car you own determine the social 'respect' you get, - at least superficially.

I suppose lifestyle has a bearing on how you see yourself in the overall picture, and this of course is determined by what you can afford rather than what social position your parents occupied.

The sad thing is that so many people aspire to a lifestyle they can only afford by sacrificing so much of their time to earning money, and they end up with no life at all. :(

Originally posted by Cyclone

how would you choose to work out the class of someone with no job or income?

Children have the same problem, whilst they live at home they fall into whatever class group their parents belong too. [/b]

I suppose if class is based on the wage earner then yes I have to be classed with my partner obviously - but my way of thinking is working class because of my background so if I was to marry a rich tycoon ( I can dream) although the income would make me upper class I still have the working class brain and values.

Hope I am making sense. What I am trying to put across is there is the class you are born into and then the class you end up in by living standards, but your roots remain the same.

Viking - funny and so true. :hihi:

Originally posted by Cyclone

Children have the same problem, whilst they live at home they fall into whatever class group their parents belong too.

Unless you are one of the those orphan princesses being secretly raised in poverty by your kind (but common) aunts untill you can re-build an army and re-take your throne, with the help of a handsome prince.

Or something like that.

It happens.

Originally posted by dawny1

I suppose if class is based on the wage earner then yes I have to be classed with my partner obviously - but my way of thinking is working class because of my background so if I was to marry a rich tycoon ( I can dream) although the income would make me upper class I still have the working class brain and values.

Hope I am making sense. What I am trying to put across is there is the class you are born into and then the class you end up in by living standards, but your roots remain the same.

Viking - funny and so true. :hihi:

yes I see what you're getting at.

You could also be born into a working class family, but raised with a middle class education and form your own values appropriately.

Glad I made sense. Staying at home makes your brain turn to mush going on the forum is slowly re-activating my brain cells so these discussions keep me sane.

A friend of mine did exactly what you said Cyclone. She was very working class and so was her husband. She worked a lot of jobs purely to pay for her kids to have private education and they ended up talking completely differently to their parents who had very broad accents.

When the school had parents meetings they felt extremely out of place amongst the other parents and sadly their own children ended up feeling embarrassed by their upbringing.

I think the whole issue regarding class leads to dangerous assertions -

Defining an underclass for example can lead to afflicting and stigmatising of such people. e.g ''crime is high among the 'underclass' because they're always skint, jobless''.

As aside issue I do think to some extent though that classes are becoming less distinguishable in society as people comparitively, have more disposable income and (easier) opportunities these days to apply themselves, self-betterment, aspirations - being born into a 'working class' family doesn't necessarily mean you'll die in/with a 'working class' family

All human societies are stratified, in other words, people are pigeonholed by those in positions of power. There are various systems of stratification. The best known one is the Registrar General's system, which defines class in relation to occupation. It lists eight classes [replacing the old A, B C1 D etc system]. I believe that Professionals, such as University lecturers, higher managerial staff etc are listed as 'social class1'. Oddly, self-employed businessmen [and the example is a driving instructor] are class 6. Bottom of the pile are the 'Underclass' at number 8; the long-term sick and long-term unemployed. This latter case is a good example of a sociological term becoming institutionalised.

It is possible for one to be socio-economically one class, and culturally quite something else. Hence, a Bank branch manager might be defined as class 2 because of his occupation, but yet his 'cultural interests' revolve around stereotypically 'working class' pursuits such as the betting shop , and his 'cultural capital' extends only to 'low art' and popular entertainment, such as the music of the charts, and TV 's 'soap operas'.