Are we living in a classless society? Does class still matter?

I had a conversation with a colleague this week where he asked what class I belonged to....

I had never realy placed myself in a class and did not find this very easy to answer. What are the class names nowadays? is it based on background, income or belief ? or all of these.

My family history is defo working class with most male family members working in the steel industry. My parents both worked full time and owner-occupied a 'nice' semi in a 'nice' part of town. I am sure if I could ask my Dad, he would have said he was very much working class .... and would never dream of stating that he was anything else.....

But me though..... I earn a very good wage, live in a big house and live very comfortably..... does this make me lower-middle class ?? Somehow this doesn't feel right knowing my background???

I don;t want this to be a huge & nasty political debate, though I know there are obvious links.

What class are you ?

Are classes still important ?

Originally posted by LoopyLou

..... I earn a very good wage, live in a big house and live very comfortably..... does this make me lower-middle class ??...

Not in my opinion, the key part for me was "...I earn...", that makes you working class.

My father always used to say,

"If you have to work for a living, your working class...

...if you own a business, and other people do the work for you, your middle class...

...and the upper class… …they do naff all."

(or words to that effect)

I still think there's a lot of truth in that statement, even if "Her Maggieness" tried to convince us we were all middle class, and should therefore vote for her / the Tories.

:suspect:

I think there has been a push in recent years by a certain political party to demolish the class system in this country. A prime example is that of fox-hunting. Perceived by Labour to be a sport for the upper classes they have written a piece of half-baked legislation ridden with loopholes simply to appease the abundant do-gooders.

My Dad was a steel worker and considered himself very working class with a simialr attitiude to foo_fighters Dad.

Anyone who wore a shirt and tie to work was not working class!

I am not sure where I am a mix between working class and middle.

My roots are working class but the house I live in is Middle Class.

I feel comfortably where I am and where I live and would not feel like I fitted in if I lived in a posh area.

Now with lottery winners though you can find a vast range of classes living in what would normally have been exclusively upper class areas!

Whatever I am, I am proud of the family I came from and the family I have now.

Originally posted by foo_fighter

Not in my opinion, the key part for me was "...I earn...", that makes you working class.

My father always used to say,

"If you have to work for a living, your working class...

...if you own a business, and other people do the work for you, your middle class...

...and the upper class… …they do naff all."

:suspect:

I know a lot of people in my family who would agree with you there.

I have asked this question to quite a few people lately and i have veen very suprised how much emotion people put into their replies. I really thought that this didn;t matter any more yet people still do....

I think class does still exist, but the boundaries are less clearly defined than they used to be, and more factors now determine what class you consider yourself to be.

Income, educational level, type of job and 'attitude' all contribute to making up what class you belong too.

Personally, my parents and grandparents were working class, although having progressed in their careers I suppose they are now middle class. I'm middle class (i think).

I don't think working class is anyone that earns a wage. That would leave a incredibly small middle class and even smaller upper class.

I think the idea about shirt and tie is closer, although we have a business casual dress code, so no tie for me.

I think that working in a service industry is definitely being part way to middle class, although it would depend on what level you work at I suppose.