Are we living in a classless society? Does class still matter?

Originally posted by t020

Because it doesn't make sense to classify the largest section of the population into 1 class. A builder works, but his income, lifestyle, outlook, politics, education, etc etc is all likely to be significantly different to a professional's (doctors, lawyers, accountants, business/IT consultants, etc etc) income, lifestyle, outlook, politics and education. To classify them the same way is pretty misleading and meaningless. Also, people on benefits don't work - does that make them middle class?? It's not as simple as work Vs no work.

How would you roughly separate each class? I agree with Foos fathers description. It doesn't apply to everyone, but these days people dont separate each other into a certain class. Nothing is the same as it used to be! You were frowned upon if you were from a different or lower class, women knew their place and only purpose, black people sat at the back of the buses, the list is endless. To the majority of people, class isn't important anymore and that is why you cant catogorise each class anymore. Its not as easy as black or white, making your builder and barrister the little bits of grey.

A builder works, but his income, lifestyle, outlook, politics, education, etc etc is all likely to be significantly different to a professional's (doctors, lawyers, accountants, business/IT consultants, etc etc) income, lifestyle, outlook, politics and education.

But a lot of plumbers/electricians/joiners or other skilled workmen probably earn more than a doctor or an accountant, so their income and lifestyle would make them middle class (using your system).

Originally posted by nick2

But a lot of plumbers/electricians/joiners or other skilled workmen probably earn more than a doctor or an accountant, so their income and lifestyle would make them middle class (using your system).

No, because part of my definition includes professional qualifications, education, background, etc, not just income. It's all meaningless anyway, but I don't think people can say that anyone who works is working class or that the class system is dead. These are more like northern, working class, left wing ideologies rather than the reality of Britain.

It's all meaningless anyway, but I don't think people can say that anyone who works is working class or that the class system is dead. These are more like northern, working class, left wing ideologies rather than the reality of Britain.

I agree with your first point, it's all meaningless. I disagree with your second point though. Plenty of people feel the same who are not northern or "working class" or left wing.

It is probably more to do with education than anything else. Also just because you are educated doesn't make you middle class, the same applies to the non educated being working class.

Originally posted by bonny

I agree with your first point, it's all meaningless. I disagree with your second point though. Plenty of people feel the same who are not northern or "working class" or left wing.

It is probably more to do with education than anything else. Also just because you are educated doesn't make you middle class, the same applies to the non educated being working class.

I never said education was the exclusive class factor did I? I said it is typically one of the many factors that contribute to defining class. If you listen to the election news, they describe certain constituencies as being "middle class" areas. I've heard our very own Hallam constituency being described as that, as well as Belfast South, and others as well as the typical southern places. What do you think the BBC mean by "middle class"? Do you think it means most people in that constituency don't need to work?! Or (as is the actual case) do you think it means such constituencies contain a high proportion of professional and managerial people, often well educated? Also if class no longer has relevance, why is it continually referred to and used in things such as elections, marketing, etc?

What do you think the BBC mean by "middle class"?

More than one car, large mortgage, middle aged, 2.4 children, vote conservative, go to "unspoilt" places for their hollidays, listen to Radio 4 ?

Originally posted by nick2

More than one car, large mortgage, middle aged, 2.4 children, vote conservative, go to "unspoilt" places for their hollidays, listen to Radio 4 ?

And work....

So he's "middle class", and he works. Case closed.

Don't worry mate, no-one will think you're working class, especially where you live.