Are we living in a classless society? Does class still matter?

I did a bit of a google to see what the modern day class divisions are to see if this would help.

according to the national statistics database socio-economic classifications are.....

1) Higher managerial & professional

2) Lower managerial & professional

3) intermediate occupations

4) small employers and own account workers

5) lower supervisory and technical

6) semi routine

7) routine

8 ) long term unemployed

This would put me in group 2, i think?

This is very job based classifications..... not sure it includes a broad enough view for me? Does anybody have other ideas?

Originally posted by Cyclone

I think the idea about shirt and tie is closer, although we have a business casual dress code, so no tie for me.

I wear a T-shirt to work, but the guy who empties the bins at work wears a shirt and tie.

Originally posted by dawny1

Well I'm a cook, cleaner, counseller, taxi driver, child carer, foot tickler and general dogs body - in other words a housewife/mum.

No idea what category that goes into!! :confused:

I guess you and your children get lumped in with your husband based on what he does.

Nick - ok, so the shirt and tie idea is a bit outdated.

I guess you and your children get lumped in with your husband based on what he does.

Well, he is a builder so based on job working class, but based on earnings I suppose middle class.

Gutted though that yet again mums/housewifes are not considered to be anything because we don't actually earn a wage. :(

Nick - ok, so the shirt and tie idea is a bit outdated.

Thats what I said once when I went for an interview "you still make people wear a tie ?", they wern't very impressed and I didn't get the job. Their loss.

Originally posted by dawny1

Well, he is a builder so based on job working class, but based on earnings I suppose middle class.

Gutted though that yet again mums/housewifes are not considered to be anything because we don't actually earn a wage. :(

how would you choose to work out the class of someone with no job or income?

Children have the same problem, whilst they live at home they fall into whatever class group their parents belong too.