Sheffield gangs. How best to solve this problem?

I suggested that earlier in the thread, but as someone rightly pointed out the army contains highly trained and respected people who are proper "souljaz". I respect them far too much to send these cretins of society there and compromise everyones safety.

Best place for them is down the mine shafts

im not saying send them streight there. **** me im not that dim. like every recruit in any armed forces they have a hard, punishing trainning period for what a good 3 years before they become these highly trained professionals as you say. having some big **** off burly army instructor barking at em a pushing them to their potential mite do the whole of them alot of good. Change their lives for the better as theyd learn new trades for when they leave. Also releave the TAX PAYER for over crouded prisons.

We need to address the issues of a damaged society and not just look at throwing trouble makers in to National Service.

At the moment we have poorly skilled parents bringing up poorly equipped children. Why is everyone so surprised that these children then end up in gangs when they have no values in their life during their upbringing? These children then go on to be parents (sometimes at a very young age) and then the cycle starts again.

Only when we break that cycle, can we look at getting rid of this gang culture permenantly.

The Armed forces do a great deal for youngsters through their Cadet groups and if more adults were to volunteer to be leaders in these groups, more kids could join. Schools have to be more supportive of Cadet groups and not feel that they are just there to push children in to the Armed Forces when they get to 16.

It would also help if people would get involved in their communities rather than just moan about the problems. Become a Special Constable, lobby your MP for change, lobby the council for better support for children, become a magistrate, become a school governor, do anything, but stop moaning about standards of life here in Sheffield unless you are doing something constructive to try and change things for the better.

We need to address the issues of a damaged society and not just look at throwing trouble makers in to National Service.

At the moment we have poorly skilled parents bringing up poorly equipped children. Why is everyone so surprised that these children then end up in gangs when they have no values in their life during their upbringing? These children then go on to be parents (sometimes at a very young age) and then the cycle starts again.

Only when we break that cycle, can we look at getting rid of this gang culture permenantly.

The Armed forces do a great deal for youngsters through their Cadet groups and if more adults were to volunteer to be leaders in these groups, more kids could join. Schools have to be more supportive of Cadet groups and not feel that they are just there to push children in to the Armed Forces when they get to 16.

It would also help if people would get involved in their communities rather than just moan about the problems. Become a Special Constable, lobby your MP for change, lobby the council for better support for children, become a magistrate, become a school governor, do anything, but stop moaning about standards of life here in Sheffield unless you are doing something constructive to try and change things for the better.

this is the same point i have been making from the start, (see my posts)before this mess spills into society its already in the home ,we go into the prisons to let the youngsters know there is another and a better way, what you say is right we can either sit and moan or do something to help. Edited by nuffsaid

First a question, after watching the recomended utube videos, why do these cretins try to speak Jamaican, If they are so enamoured with this culture I am sure Jamaica would welcome them becoming citizens.

Amend the Penal code, double up on Youth sentences and make the obvious absentee parents do the same amount of time, You have a child, You are responsible until the age of majority, make their parents assume this responsibility not the state, that these cretins have no respect for.

where to start though?

Trying to make people responsible for themselves. That's where I would start.

It's difficult though. It's fighting a system that has made [some, but, enough] people in society not responsible for themselves. They pass this on. And the cycle continues.

where to start though?

1) stopping the compensation culture for a starters.

when people stop sueing..... then

2) set up sports clubs.

Get young people running off their energys, doing something positive and mixing together.

Has to be better than knife crime.

First a question, after watching the recomended utube videos, why do these cretins try to speak Jamaican, If they are so enamoured with this culture I am sure Jamaica would welcome them becoming citizens.

Amend the Penal code, double up on Youth sentences and make the obvious absentee parents do the same amount of time, You have a child, You are responsible until the age of majority, make their parents assume this responsibility not the state, that these cretins have no respect for.

I like red wine, indian food, and martial arts films but it doesn't mean I'd want to live in France, India or China respectively. Blaming poor behaviour on being influenced by a particular culture is a bit of a hasty thing to do, isn't it? Afterall, Britain is a multi-cultural society that has thrived on diversity for years. This sort of attitude also reinforces the current problem of a "blame society". I don't agree with the exaggerated nonsense this thread has somehow come up with about contemporary youth culture but I would say that society itself is not walking a path where personal responsibility doesn't exist and people are willing to take the easy route and blame someone else.

If there was going to be some sort of reform to youth crime and justice, are you seriously suggesting the idea of doubling youth sentences and giving adults sentences for their childrens behaviour?

If so, may I ask you (and anyone else who agrees with this idea) a few questions:

- Do you think a young child who has had no sort of support in life be given a double the usual sentence? How do you think a harsh punishment would affect the child? If the child, for example, stole a chocolate bar because his parents hadn't given him any food or lunch money - do you think he should be held responsible?

- If you were the parents of a child who had made a mistake (and let's be honest...we all make mistakes) and had been told you would face a severe sentence, would you be happy? What if your child was playing football and smashed a window? Would you be happy to be convicted of criminal damage? Do you think this would help at all? Do you think a child whose parents are in prison for whatever crime they committed have a good childhood being parentless? Have you thought about what the child would do finantially with parents in prison? Or what the parents would do for work after prison with a criminal record?

- I guessed that you mean maturity, not majority, in the last section of your post. What do you think the age of maturity is? Do you think the age of maturity differs from person to person? And, if so, how would you go about deciding who is mature enough to be held responsible for their own crimes, and who isn't? What about children who have learning difficulties and haven't quite grasped the idea of right and wrong at the age most children should?

Lastly (and I do apologise for my ramblings), if this "reform" were to happen, what would you do to tackle the current problems with prisons? I'm sure you are aware that prisons are not only overcrowded but are also unsuccessful at keeping reoffending rates at bay. With your current idea I'd guess that hundreds of new prisons would need to be built and the whole penal system would need to be changed in order to stop reoffending. How would you get the money for this? What sort of time scale would you expect this to be done in? I'd probably guess around 10 years. Do you really think this would stop the CURRENT problem efficiently?

I like red wine, indian food, and martial arts films but it doesn't mean I'd want to live in France, India or China respectively. Blaming poor behaviour on being influenced by a particular culture is a bit of a hasty thing to do, isn't it? Afterall, Britain is a multi-cultural society that has thrived on diversity for years. This sort of attitude also reinforces the current problem of a "blame society". I don't agree with the exaggerated nonsense this thread has somehow come up with about contemporary youth culture but I would say that society itself is not walking a path where personal responsibility doesn't exist and people are willing to take the easy route and blame someone else.

If there was going to be some sort of reform to youth crime and justice, are you seriously suggesting the idea of doubling youth sentences and giving adults sentences for their childrens behaviour?

If so, may I ask you (and anyone else who agrees with this idea) a few questions:

- Do you think a young child who has had no sort of support in life be given a double the usual sentence? How do you think a harsh punishment would affect the child? If the child, for example, stole a chocolate bar because his parents hadn't given him any food or lunch money - do you think he should be held responsible?

- If you were the parents of a child who had made a mistake (and let's be honest...we all make mistakes) and had been told you would face a severe sentence, would you be happy? What if your child was playing football and smashed a window? Would you be happy to be convicted of criminal damage? Do you think this would help at all? Do you think a child whose parents are in prison for whatever crime they committed have a good childhood being parentless? Have you thought about what the child would do finantially with parents in prison? Or what the parents would do for work after prison with a criminal record?

- I guessed that you mean maturity, not majority, in the last section of your post. What do you think the age of maturity is? Do you think the age of maturity differs from person to person? And, if so, how would you go about deciding who is mature enough to be held responsible for their own crimes, and who isn't? What about children who have learning difficulties and haven't quite grasped the idea of right and wrong at the age most children should?

Lastly (and I do apologise for my ramblings), if this "reform" were to happen, what would you do to tackle the current problems with prisons? I'm sure you are aware that prisons are not only overcrowded but are also unsuccessful at keeping reoffending rates at bay. With your current idea I'd guess that hundreds of new prisons would need to be built and the whole penal system would need to be changed in order to stop reoffending. How would you get the money for this? What sort of time scale would you expect this to be done in? I'd probably guess around 10 years. Do you really think this would stop the CURRENT problem efficiently?

I did not mean the age of maturity, I did mean the age of majority, the supposed age the You become a responsible enough to vote and be called an ADULT.

When I was a child, if and when we broke a window our parents stepped up without prompting and pain for the repair and then meted out the correct punishment to fit the the ill action, Parents ARE responsible for the action of a child not the recipient of the ill actions or misdeeds.

If a child is so loved by it's parents as to be sent to school hungry or even ragged there are enough safety nets in position in our very liberal society (and rightly so) to take care of that child, there is a benefit that will make provision for that child to be fed or clothed, if that child is turned out in a morning or at any time of day that parent is not using the provided benefit for the child and is using it in some other way of their choice.

If a child was to spray paint it's " tag name " onto Your vehicle would You say the " vandal " was responsible or that I am part to blame because after all it is society's making that that " vandal " is made to spray other peoples property due to no facilities being in place for said " vandal " to go and practice His or Her " art ".

Today's society is an " it's not my fault society " well when it comes to children up to the age of majority, it is Your fault if they do anything wrong or criminal it's called " PARENTAL RESPONSIBLITY " and having the mental ability to stand up and accept that responsiblity, that is being an adult and a role model parent not a shirker as we seem to be inundated with.

I am myself very fond of the foods of this world and have also been a student of martial arts since the age of eighteen I have never seen any student of any martial art go out and beat up anyone's granny for their pension or handbag, disciplin in taught in all fighting arts and that is what's lacking , I have lived and worked in several places in this world, being a multi cultural society does not create nor excuse bad behieviour, I never saw this behieviour in India nor China, why, there would be beatings meted out and I am not sugesting that it should be this way in our " modern society " but there has to be a middle ground and excusing this bad behieviour as acceptable is not the way to go forward with our society.

If parents are made responsible and accountable for their offsprings actions and made to be role model parents We would not have the expence of all these prisoners and the cost of the judicial system.