How and where do you make a will?

This is something I have been meaning to do so I think I will get in touch with you Sheldon273.

The reason I have been putting it off is because I have a dilemma about my kids.

If both me and my partner die my 3 girls to my ex will obviously go to him, but my little boy who is my partners will have no one to go to!

My only hope is that if the worst happens it will be in a few more years when my eldest daughter would be able to care for him as she said she would, but when making a will you have to bare in mind that you could die the same day!

Originally posted by dawny1

The reason I have been putting it off is because I have a dilemma about my kids.

If both me and my partner die my 3 girls to my ex will obviously go to him, but my little boy who is my partners will have no one to go to!

All the more reason to make a will - at least you can specify that some of your estate is to be used to pay for care of your little boy.

You might also want to consider taking out a life assurance policy for you and your partner, if you haven't already done so.

• 1 month later...

I am an independant Will Writer based in Sheffield. I trained at a well known Sheffield Solicitors but I decided to offer an at home service for clients as I felt that a home service would benefit people who find it difficult to travel. I also provide an evening and weekend service for working people. Please PM me if you would like more information.

Originally posted by Mo

Get yourself to a solictor. It will only cost about £60 or circa £90 for joint one.

Yes you can DIY it or employ a will writing agency but it is so easy to make mistakes that could prove very costly in the long run. Get it done properly and your mind will be at ease.

Also remember that wills need to be updated if you remarry, have more children, aquire step children etc etc.

I agree with Mo here - cant stress enough what problems DIY Wills can and do cause - I work in law and many client have DIY Wills that turn out to be invalid for really silly reasons. However, you may wish to note that in the absence of a Will, in England and Wales the Intestacy Rules apply - basically this means your NOK will benefit from your estate. If you're married with no children then do you need a Will? Your wife will just automatically get everything - unless of course you wish to leave financial gifts to other members of your family. If you have children, then its advisable to have a Will which names an Executor and guardian's for your chilrden should both you and your wife die.

A straight forward mirror Will is easy enough for someone who knows how to put together for you. In fact I did one for my sister - I just used the one I did for myself and adapted it accordingly.

Originally posted by WTAW

I am an independant Will Writer based in Sheffield. I trained at a well known Sheffield Solicitors but I decided to offer an at home service for clients as I felt that a home service would benefit people who find it difficult to travel. I also provide an evening and weekend service for working people. Please PM me if you would like more information.

how much you charge mate? i'm supposed to have glossed the bathroom door and skirting board today and i havn't,i may need your service sooner rather than later:|

Hi Kirky, it sounds as though you really shouldn't be shirking your duties!

A single Will is £65.00, a mirror Will is £100.00 (for two very similar wills for partners, whether married or not or same sex couples). This is for home visits to discuss your needs, take instructions, prepare a draft Will for you to approve (and amend if necessary) a further home visit to assist in the signing of the Will/s, storage if required and copies of signed will (if storing it with me). All fees are fixed there is no add ons for any extra clauses that you may need. However if you are in the inheritance tax bracket (have an estate over £275,000) you could have Discretionary Trust Wills (to help save inheritance tax) these are £160.00. With the same provisions as above.

All visits are at a time to suit you.