Where did Pearl Street go

My Mum lived on Fentonville st and was a memeber of the upper Pearl st gang so she proudly told me.

Apparently a lot of rivalry existed between upper and lower pearlys??

Is this true?

My mums maiden name was Vera Gascoingne, she had a brother Walter (WALT) and a Sister Irene, both now sadly deceased.

My Mother is still alive and at 84 still remembers the good old days.Bless.

You're right about the rivalry between top and bottom Pearly. Picture a cold, dark night just before bonfire night during the 50's. Top Pearly are guarding their stuff collected for the bonfire. Out of the darkness gallops their little spy on his imaginary horse and shouts, "bottom Pearly attack tonight!"

My Mother & her family lived on Pearl St. They were the Garratts, my Grandad when he lived there was a pearl button maker. I think they left Pearl St. in the 20's.

My grandparents lived on Pearl St and I lived on Lansdowne Rd till 1958. On Picture Sheffield there is a photo of my house, roofless as they were being demolished. On the corner was the old pawnbroker, Jowett, who used to scare us kids to death.

Does anyone remember the Pullans, and the Birches , they lived on Franklin street, i think they moved in the seventies,

Does anyone remember the Pullans, and the Birches , they lived on Franklin street, i think they moved in the seventies,

Franklin Street was demolished no later than mid/ late sixties, or there abouts, as the Washington Road flats were built by around 1970.

I do remember the old terraced houses on the upper side (odds) of Washington Rd being still standing in the early seventies.

I lived on middle Pearl Street at 23/1 between c1953 to 1964, my name is Kay Vernals my sister was Elaine and i had two brothers Steven and Andrew, i remember Philip Robinson, the Smiths who were John,Jeanette,Joan and Jennifer,Johnny Gill who all livrd on Pearl St and Alan Robinson who lived on Washington Road.

Iwent to Pomona St School and later Greystones Sec Modern.

I remember the chip shop on Langdon Street where the owner was an avid Sheff United fan,also Ted James who owned the paper shop on Washington Rd, i remember Millerships shop on Lansdowne Rd and yes Jowetts Pawn shop on Club Garden Rd where i often went with my mother to Pawn anything she could at the time, times were hard and the house we lived in was a slum but there were enjoyable times too.

I lived on middle Pearl Street at 23/1 between c1953 to 1964, my name is Kay Vernals my sister was Elaine and i had two brothers Steven and Andrew, i remember Philip Robinson, the Smiths who were John,Jeanette,Joan and Jennifer,Johnny Gill who all livrd on Pearl St and Alan Robinson who lived on Washington Road.

Iwent to Pomona St School and later Greystones Sec Modern.

I remember the chip shop on Langdon Street where the owner was an avid Sheff United fan,also Ted James who owned the paper shop on Washington Rd, i remember Millerships shop on Lansdowne Rd and yes Jowetts Pawn shop on Club Garden Rd where i often went with my mother to Pawn anything she could at the time, times were hard and the house we lived in was a slum but there were enjoyable times too.

Hi Cissy999

Electoral roll extract for Sharrow area 1961-1962 here

I remember Mr James and his wife running the paper shop, he had the left hand wall of the shop, full of 6d bags of toys. I seem to remember an old chap had the shop before him, who had a glass display case with old wooden toys in it. Mr James wasn't there too long before he opened his first bike shop on Alderson Road, and then gradually expanded it, shop by shop, down Brammall Lane.

You always had a difficult decision to make in Millership's shop. With 3d to spend, did you buy three things from the penny tray, or one thing from the tuppenny tray and one from the penny tray, other some other combination. I once went in there aged about seven, put my money on the counter but it rolled off. Couldn't for the life of me find where it had rolled to, until the owner said "have a look in the turnups of your trousers" - and there it was.

Happy days.

Regards

Leipzig

Many years ago I worked for the S&E at The Arcade. This was the place where folk who lived nearby shopped, infact it was their shop. They were the absolute salt of the earth, lovely folk, just a pity that most of them supported Utd. :hihi:

Hey,

Could I possibly get these pictures as well. My family are all from the area (mostly Landon St) Betty and Stanley Blackwell, and Barbara Blackwell I think was around the same age.

Thanks.

I vividly remember the adventure playground PT,health and safety would throw the book at it these days.Mrs Hill or sweaty Betty as we called her, had her 1st shop at the end of Fentonville Street on Sharrow Lane.Do you know if she's still alive?she must be getting on these days if she is.

From what I remember the Adventure had very few incidents of children getting hurt . The risks they took on there were high compared to todays standards but fewer accidents. They never had any tiolets on there but some very smelly bushes! I remember when it closed some children rolled a giant wooden wheel down the street it ran over cars!!!

Garthai,

Do you remember piggy Astle, Derek and Brian Nicholson or Peter Elliot all lived on Fentonville st.

I lived on Priory Terrace, moved there in 1942 from Meersbrook, my name is Doug. Kay I had 5 brothers and 5 sisters, one brother and one sister sadly died but the rest of us are staggering along. I and my younger brothers and sisters went to St Mathias but luckily I only went there my last year, the standard was very low compared to my previous school Meersbrook Bank on Derbyshire lane.

I've lived in Florida for 15 years and before that 11 years on a boat in the Med.

I remember the old couple who kept the newsagents/bakery at the corner of Priory Rd and Sharrow lane probably till the end of the war.