Punk gigs at the Marples

Back to as close as you can get to where it all started at the original Limit(just a few doors down) we are aiming to not just being a reunion but a new era too...

If this night is received well then more events will take place in the future...

So if you ever ventured into The Limit/The Marples/Barrow Boys or later on The Casbah to name but a few Sheffield Venues or maybe Charters Arms/Cats Bar or Mailcoach if you're from Rotherham then you'll be in for a treat!

We will also have anthems right up to present day which we believe fit in with the theme of the night so if you want to relive your youth or you are a youth we think you will walk away wanting more!

We open at 9 and the band will be playing their first set at approximately 10pm.

So if you're fed up with cheesy pop & dance these are just a few of the people we'll be playing tracks from...

CLASH/PISTOLS/BUZZCOCKS/RUTS/UNDERTONES/SHAM 69/TENPOLE TUDOR/RAMONES/ONLY ONES/ADVERTS/BLONDIE/SIOUXSIE/IGGY POP/ADAM & THE ANTS/SKIDS/STIFF LITTLE FINGERS/GEN X/X RAY SPEX/REZILLOS/TOY DOLLS/DAMNED/JAM/SPECIALS/MADNESS/JOY DIVISION/NEW ORDER/JAPAN/ULTRAVOX/VISION/HEAVEN 17/SOFT CELL/PSYCHEDELIC FURS/CURE/MISSION/CULT/FIELDS OF THE NEPHILIM/KILLING JOKE/WATERBOYS/ECHO & THE BUNNYMEN/SLEEPER/PULP/BABYBIRD/ELASTICA/BLUR/MENSWEAR/NORTHERN UPROAR/SUEDE/SMITHS/ARCTIC MONKEYS/LITTLE MAN TATE/PIGEON DETECTIVES/THE ENEMY/VACCINES/MISSING ANDY/KING BLUES/RANCID/OFFSPRING/BOWLING FOR SOUP...The list goes on...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Unlimited54/

Used to see loads of bands at the Marples but the Crass gig sticks in the mind vividly. It was always a bit of a rough pub but rarely saw any trouble and we spent hours downstairs playing pool. If we got rowdy 'Mam' who was the barmaid would shout at us to behave!!!

There were loads of venues for bands and you usually could see someone every night if you wanted.

I will be going to the Blackpool Rebellion 4 day festival starting on August 7th and many of the old favourites will be there including the Subs, Damned, SLF, Ruts DC, Sham 69, as well as some really good newer bands. Even Lene Lovich is there this year.

I remember when Marcus was promoting Monday night gigs at Rebels in the markets area, which he renamed as "The Basement Club" (because it was at the top of the long flight of stairs), and he booked The Angelic Upstarts for their first ever Sheffield gig. The crowd were sort of into it, but not a great atmosphere, so to liven things up, the singer (Mensi) said to the crowd, "so which are you lot? Wednesday or United?" and a mass brawl broke out of course. Saw some good bands there, UK Subs played and I was chatting to Charlie Harper at the bar, also a band called Destroy all Monsters, who were ex members of Iggy and the Stooges and the MC5, classic sound, spoiled by the singer (who could not sing at all) who was an ex-model calling herself Niagra. They were great days!

He does not look that much different by the way! (for those who remember him)

been reading some of the posts on here, people talk like old farts, Sheffield had a good punk scene and still does. there's more punk bands in Sheffield than actual people still into punk. the good old days, no such thing people looking through rose tinted x ray spex, punk is still alive and kicking probably harder than it ever did in the past. people 50yrs plus bigin up bands like 999 or the sex pistols experience like there's nowt else out there, open your eyes, 100s if not 1000s of new exciting bands out there stop being lazy go find em.

---------- Post added 13-04-2015 at 15:56 ----------

P.S I'll be glad when ya all get dementia so you won't be able to start by typing I REMEMBER WHEN.

I REMEMBER WHEN ... in Sheffield I saw The Clash (with Mikey Dread), The Stranglers, The Jam, Buzzcocks (with Joy Division support), The Damned, Ramones, Skids, Bauhaus, Magazine, Banshees, ... and many more and ALL in their prime ....

That's the thing about being older ... we saw all the coolest bands :cool:

Yes there are still some good bands about and I still go out n I am 50 in fact I had a punk band play at my 50th .We will say I remember when cos to us OAP ( old aged punx) that was when we could go out ever night and still feel okay in the morning . The bands now aren't the same as when we were young still good but different . We could go out down town n see our mates some who sadly have passed away . So its great there are even more punk bands now but we will never forget our times .So many demo's back then in Sheffield n London like stop the city Greenham common etc, peace convoy . Please don't wish dementia on us that's horrible . Enjoy yourself and we will enjoy our self's but need a few days to recover lol .

Well said Joe Momma and Tinkerbell 65, and by the way Jakeanthill, if us old farts hadn't led the way, you wouldn't be listening to anything near as good as the music you listen to now !!

been reading some of the posts on here, people talk like old farts, Sheffield had a good punk scene and still does. there's more punk bands in Sheffield than actual people still into punk. the good old days, no such thing people looking through rose tinted x ray spex, punk is still alive and kicking probably harder than it ever did in the past. people 50yrs plus bigin up bands like 999 or the sex pistols experience like there's nowt else out there, open your eyes, 100s if not 1000s of new exciting bands out there stop being lazy go find em.

---------- Post added 13-04-2015 at 15:56 ----------

P.S I'll be glad when ya all get dementia so you won't be able to start by typing I REMEMBER WHEN.

Wow, you waited five years to post that.

got other stuff to do MR grappler, nearly 7000 posts wow, you need to get out more, and mr whitehorses I am one the old farts I'm always one of if not the oldest at most of the gigs I go too.

got other stuff to do MR grappler, nearly 7000 posts wow, you need to get out more, and mr whitehorses I am one the old farts I'm always one of if not the oldest at most of the gigs I go too.

Oh sorry, yeah you must be an old fart, ..with Bad eyesight...I am not a mister !!!