Punk gigs at the Marples

here we go, as promised, the cutting from the star about deano dieing

hi did you know him well..........

no sorry, i'd only just started hanging around the peace gardens / town not that long before he died, so i only knew him in passing mostly

hi all

i see you knew my dad dean kelly. i didn't actually know him very well. just remember a couple of occasions when i met him but was quite young. From the sound of it he was a real character. i had the chance to meet j j burnell from the stranglers this year. i was introduced by a bloke called shaggy (my dad called him spider) who knew my dad. he told me a couple of funny stories about my dad. nice to see people still remember him.

Hi,

I guess you're trying to get to know more about your Dad now you're older.

I knew him quite well, late seventies, early eighties.Obviously knew him from Limit days and hanging around town when we were all young.

Although as you've probably heard, he had his crazy side, he also had a really soft nice side that people rarely saw, cos he didn't let them see.

I guess you know he used to have a pet owl, Billy ?It was great!

He let me stay at his bedsit a few times if I couldn't get home, or I'd gone to see one of his mates who was out.

He could be quite protective if you were his friend.

He'd be gobsmacked to think that all these years later I'd be talking to his son via pc !!

Hi,

I guess you're trying to get to know more about your Dad now you're older.

I knew him quite well, late seventies, early eighties.Obviously knew him from Limit days and hanging around town when we were all young.

Although as you've probably heard, he had his crazy side, he also had a really soft nice side that people rarely saw, cos he didn't let them see.

I guess you know he used to have a pet owl, Billy ?It was great!

He let me stay at his bedsit a few times if I couldn't get home, or I'd gone to see one of his mates who was out.

He could be quite protective if you were his friend.

He'd be gobsmacked to think that all these years later I'd be talking to his son via pc !!

yeh. only ever met one of his friends and that was by accident in the local pub on my dads birthday of all days. i have heard a few crazy stories but dont actually know much about him. i recently found an old picture from the sheffield star featuring him, my mum (sue orr) and billy the owl.

thanks for your reply. is nice to learn more of his personallity even though he was crazy at times.

dean

Edited by DK Electrical

yeh. only ever met one of his friends and that was by accident in the local pub on my dads birthday of all days. i have heard a few crazy stories but dont actually know much about him. i recently found an old picture from the sheffield star featuring him, my mum (sue orr) and the billy the owl.

thanks for your reply. is nice to learn more of his personallity even though he was crazy at times.

dean

i knew ya mum as well,i got to know dean when he was in patmos house,a bail hostel on southey green road,early to mid 70,s,he hung around with bernard,a lad from middlesborough,if im correct,also in patmos house,your dad was a wolves fan,but the less said about that the better......has ya mum still got long dark hair????,she was a bit of a looker when she was younger,hearts all over the parson cross estate were broken when she got with your dad.....2 really nice people.

i knew ya mum as well,i got to know dean when he was in patmos house,a bail hostel on southey green road,early to mid 70,s,he hung around with bernard,a lad from middlesborough,if im correct,also in patmos house,your dad was a wolves fan,but the less said about that the better......has ya mum still got long dark hair????,she was a bit of a looker when she was younger,hearts all over the parson cross estate were broken when she got with your dad.....2 really nice people.

hi okismoki

she still has the long dark hair. she hasnt changed much and still lives in parson cross. whats your name? i will have to show her the post's. she likes to reminis about the old times. cheers mate. thanks for the reply.

Great to read the posts we remember Deano he was always sound with us ( my hubby n me) also knew Chris Long he was a nice lad too when my son was lil i was sat in the peace garden with him and he was crying for a slimmer ( from ghost busters ) ballon chris never said a word just disapeared then later returned with one for my boy it was so sweet. We saw Big John at Chicks ( Scoties) funneral not seen him for years hes still the same then saw him again near Wilkisons told him to get on face book but he says hes not into pc's lol. :o) Keep the memories coming its good to remember the good times. Did anyone go to the Limit re-union we did it was great to see old faces but well packed.

I knew him fairly well, first time I met him was July 1980 after a Stranglers gig at Manchester Apollo, we all had to doss in Manchester station until about 5am, I remember me and Tiny were chatting up a couple of punkettes from Widnes.

In the four years or so after that I saw quite a bit of him either on Stranglers tours or in Sheffield.

I remember after a gig in Bradford we booked a room at the bands hotel and about ten of us ended up dossing in it, at about 4am your dad had the bright idea of using the hotel swimming pool, we made a hell of a racket jumping in the pool and all got chucked out.

Before one gig I was admiring a rubber skull mask in a shop window, me and Tiny went in a pub and Deano came in 5 minutes later. He'd just nicked the mask and flogged it me for a couple of quid !

I can remember a few stories about him, you never knew what he was going to do next !

It was JJ Burnel that told me he had died, when the Stranglers were touring over here years ago.

I got a magazine called Pax the exploited signed it for us still got it as well , happy days saw loads of band too gbh upstarts exploited testtube babies addicts damned uk subs loads more but the ramones beats them all no competition!!! im going to see the sex pistols exp at the boardwalk sat nite anyone else going!!!

Edited by Mr Vader

Great to read the posts we remember Deano he was always sound with us ( my hubby n me) also knew Chris Long he was a nice lad too when my son was lil i was sat in the peace garden with him and he was crying for a slimmer ( from ghost busters ) ballon chris never said a word just disapeared then later returned with one for my boy it was so sweet. We saw Big John at Chicks ( Scoties) funneral not seen him for years hes still the same then saw him again near Wilkisons told him to get on face book but he says hes not into pc's lol. :o) Keep the memories coming its good to remember the good times. Did anyone go to the Limit re-union we did it was great to see old faces but well packed.

Yeah went to both of them, great fun.

Item removed by original poster

Edited by dropout
Have realised, on reflection, that some people might NOT want their names and info posted on forum sites. Withdrawn, apols.